Drinking and Music

NOSValves

Jeez, Craig, why did you have to start this thread?

Reminds me of a particular incident; freshman year, Bucknell, Trax Hall ... A hallway buddy has a friend over from Hershey, PA ... His fiance just dumped him for another guy, so he shows up on campus with a few bottles of Southern Comfort. Never had tried the stuff, but we lined up some shot glasses and threw on some Loggins and Messina, live --- and proceeded to kill both bottles in about 30 minutes. The Advents were up on a shelf, and as the volume increased, so did the vibrations. At about 30 minutes, the vol knobs were at 5 pm and off one of the speakers came, struck my buddy in the back, putting a nasty gash of about 5" in it.

What did we do? We ran screaming through the girls' dorm (Roberts) and just about passed out. I nabbed a BEAR (Brilliant, Efficient and Always Right) security cop and said, "My buddy's bleeding profusely" and we took him down to the Infirmary and watched him get stitched up. A finer Friday night there never was.

In the late '70's, I did a few years in Denver with my best friend, a frat brother (SPE) ... He was an aficionado of finer weed and I think we were stoned for about two years non-stop (I think I sobered up for work but I can't remember) ... We listened to more music during that time ... and it was great. I can't go back there (not sure I want to) anymore with kids, but every now and then we have a party and someone shows up with some really nice stuff, and it's a ton of fun ...

I've lived life at the edges, for sure. Life is with family and friends of your choosing; the rest is noise level (IMVHO).

------------------

"Bullsh*t!"

-PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

Eico HF-81

Eico HFT-90

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (KCBR's & ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

This message has been edited by Chris Robinson on 09-12-2002 at 07:42 PM

I seem to recall reading somewhere that it is hearing in the midrange which is first or most corrupted by alcohol. Nope, I don't recall where or when.

At that reading I concluded that it is why the midrange is cranked up in drinking establishments. I don't know that for sure and it seems a rash conclusion in retrospect. Probably everything is turned up and the distortion makes the midrange harsh.

In any event, when I'm showing off a system, I would rather not have the person under the influence. That includes me during my own evaluation.

At the risk of sounding prudish, I'd think that all perceptions are less accurate under the influence.

Maybe it comes down to 1) music sounds better but 2) we lose the ability to make critical observations regarding accuracy of beauty.

I suppose this is just like meeting members of the opposite sex in bars.

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 09-12-2002 at 07:49 PM

Yes, yes number 1. I'll have a quarter pounder with fries. Warp speed Jordi,,,,,,,,,,,,Engauge.

Captains log, stardate 224695.6, on route at maximum warp to investigate a possible new "nexus" ribbon forming in the outskirts of the Klipsh Kluster. All indications point towards a rebirth of the NEXUS ribbon.

Will proceed with caution.

Enterprise out...............

6 Corona's and over!

Will do Craig.

I did have a bit of a lag time this morn but nothing a cup of coffee did not cure!!Smile.gif I have to get up at 4:30am with the wife since she has to drive 80 miles one way to Las Cruces NM. No jobs for what she does here. This is a pretty backward community. Almost a million people but yet only a few with any inkling what goes on. I have a guy offering me an ocilloscope cheap and works supposedly. Will I need something like this in the future?

Bryan

DocJ,

Scopes are nice I have one and to use it you have to have a function generator the biggest problem is you have to learn to use the things and that is hard lots of buttons and gadgets with no real instruction kind of like the Cap tester situation. I have learned some of the setups and uses from MDeneen but still have a long way to go. I guess it all depends on how for your going to go with working on them. If your just going to dabble a bit I would say don't bother.

Craig

Craig, and all, call me Ishmael...no,,, call me Bryan.

I use the doc title only at work and I'd perfer my friends call me by my givenSmile.gif I'll see about changing my ID. I guess I am just used to it or being called that. I really think I'm going to dive into the tube radios again.

I still might go with the scope, may not. Have not seen it. If it is a derilict, I'll pass. May "scope" out the items on the bay. I'm a quick study.

I do pretty much anything put to me. Rebuilt my '77MGB, engine/suspension and all. Did my first engine swap at 19. I did not paint it since I have no dust free room. I solder/weld(no cold joints), built my present computer/twin p-3's VP-6 MB. I just kind of get into things I'm interested in. I was into tube radios many moons back. Now I want to know how to fix them.

Got myself an introductory book on antique radio restoration and read a few pages every night. This is something that has been long in coming. I love seeing the tubes light up and sound coming from them.

I am a tubie and always will beSmile.gif

Ishmael,

Sign your post with your name and ww will have a easier time remembering thats your name ! I will indeed try.

It seems we have alot in common then. I'm the same way find a hobby that interests me and learn all I can love the hands on keeps me out of trouble Smile.gif

Craig

Just kiddin you Ishmael.... oh I mean Bryan Smile.gif

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 09-13-2002 at 06:49 PM