RF 82 ii; HELP - True Shipping Dimentions and Weight

jbarboni

Hello and happy holidays!

I'm new to Klipsch floorstanding/tower speakers but wanted to buy a set of RF 82 ii for my living room/home theater setup. Sadly, I am in the military and stationed in a location where I can only have items mailed to a PO Box, through USPS. I spoke with several authorized Klipsch retailers over the phone to explain my situation and shipping needs and finally found one who would mail to my address; everything seemed good to go. Very excited as I've never had anything better than Sony bookshelf speakers before, I purchased 4 x RF 82 ii speakers and went to sleep. Sadly, this morning the seller called and said USPS will not ship them due to their size and weight; he asked me to cancel the order.  The USPS size says they shi p (Ground) up to 70 lbs and 130". Looking over everything I can find (on Google, Klipsch, Crutchfield, CNet, Ebay, Sears, Best Buy, Fry's Electronics: everything..) these speakers are between 56-62 lbs (most likely 62 lbs) and 9.5" x 16.5" x 43.5" for a total shipping dimension of 98" (rounding everything up to whole inches and doing the math: (10" + 17") x 2 + 44").  Even with packaging, I can't imagine these exceeding 70 lbs and 130".  Does anyone know what the individual size and weight of these speakers are when fully boxed from the factory?  Is it my shipping math that's off? Can anyone think of another way I can make this happen? If not, I have to wait at least another 2 years and hope my finances and my wife are still on board with the purchase..

Thank you!!

mattSER, I agree completely about that being super lame.  I could see if the seller could/would remove 1 pound of packing material but he said it was also over the size limit.. He may have been wrong. Seriously, couldn't USPS just waive a single pound? You'd think they could, airlines do it all the time.. Anyone have any ideas on how I could get this shipped?

Edited by jbarboni

I've ran into this situation before, a military guy in Japan tried to order some towers from several places but USPS doesn't like shipping stuff that big.  He ended up contacting me because I had some used THX speakers that I got from AV Science for sale.  I ended up shipping those just fine.  Only problem is that after the fees, even small THX speakers can cost over $100 each to ship.  It starts out quoting around $70 or $80 but then there's additional fees that made it more like $110, then multiply that by three.  But, they got there, shockingly fast.  So, if you don't mind elevated shipping charges and don't mind smaller speakers such as THX or RP-160M's, you could get something.  As far as I know, the only way to get larger towers to a military base is to use an international freight service just like you'd use anywhere else, which is an insanely huge pain and I was unofficially told that the cost could potentially be in the thousands of dollars.  The 160M's are surprisingly nice, I'd recommend considering some of those given the situation.  I have a large 32x31 living room and I use these myself in there.