Any FM Antenna Recommendations?

kev313

I decided that I should not confine my enjoyment of Chicago's fine radio stations to the crap radio in my car. As such, I invested in a dynaco fm 3 (well, they're really not that expensive). Anyone have any good fm antenna recommendations???

------------------

Two Channel System:

Klipsch Fortes (1988)

Jolida 202a

Rega Planet

Denon DP 3000 tt (Stax tonearm; Grado Gold cart.)

I have used Radio Shack TV/FM and dedicated FM antennas with good success. I can also use a piece of string here, since I can look out and see most of the FM antennas in the area.

------------------

Jim

Family Room:

1978 Klipschorns (mains), 1979 La Scalas (rear surrounds), 1978 Heresy's on the way

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever, Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player, Toshiba SD-1200 DVD, Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

Bedroom:

Yamaha RX-V590, SF-1's Mainsc>s>

I am using a Magnum Dynalab ST-2 with very good results. What I find very useful is the fact that it can be used both in- and outdoors.

Wolfram

------------------

System:

1973 Khorns with ALK crossovers

REL Stadium II sub

Cayin 743 D integrated tube amp (utilizing 300B tubes)

McIntosh MR 77

McIntosh MCD 7007

Thorens 520S

SME 3012-R

Ortofon SPU Classic GM E

Cyrus aEQ 7 phono stage with PSX-R power supply

Yamaha CDR-HD 1000 CD Recorder

Alternative amps:

McIntosh MC 2105

McIntosh C29

This message has been edited by dubai2000 on 09-13-2002 at 12:12 AM

Best performance is going to come from an outdoor antenna with appropriate gain and directionality on a mast with a rotor.

But who knows, you might do just fine with nothing more than one of those dipole antennas made out of 300 ohm twin lead on a wall. I would start simple and upgrade as conditions indicate.

My personal favorite for an indoor FM antenna has always been an old BIC Beam Box. It is an electronically directable antenna with an adjustable bandpass filter. Lets you tune right in on the station of interest. Used one with good results for many years with a Dynaco FM5.

This was posted by ShapeShifter in another forum last month.

You could take a look at Magnum Dynalab's ST-2 FM Antenna. It continues to get good reviews.

The company also makes a device called the Signal Sleuth. The Sleuth seeks out FM signals, tracks them and amplifies those that are weak. One of these or a combination could be an option, if within your price range.

http://www.magnumdynalab.com/x_revst2sleuth.htm