Question for those familiar with Audyssey.

AaronB123

3 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

how would the average person improve the response of their room without Audyssey?

Ummm...easily.

Take two aspirin, have some warm milk, and get a good night's sleep.  The world will look much better tomorrow...without Audyssey to make it appear better...;)

Chris

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Ummm...easily.

Take two aspirin, have some warm milk, and get a good night's sleep.  The world will look much better tomorrow...without Audyssey to make it appear better...;)

Chris

LOL!!!   :emotion-21:

I know this sounds crazy but I was actually asking a serious question of an expert.  :unsure2:

I can see how the tone might sound like OMG what would I do without Audyssey......  :emotion-50:

Realizing you have professional ears and knowledge, what can an amateur do?

First, let's dispense with the pro and expert images...I'm no such thing.

There are other competing packages being bundled with AVRs/AVPs, as has been referred to above (MCACC, YPAO, etc.) and add-on packages like Dirac.  These work fairly simply--like Audyssey. 

Then there are freeware packages like REW, a USB calibration microphone (such as a UMIK-1) and an outboard equalizer/crossover, which I've made no secret of my high regard for.  If you can use a smartphone in downloading and using a multiplicity of apps, then using REW and a crossover is no big hurdle.  The results are truly spectacular and the cost lower than the software cost of stand-alone Audyssey or Dirac room correction software (sometimes much lower).  Additionally, there are packages based on the freeware facility DRC: DRCDesigner, Align, The Final Cut, Inguz Audio, etc.

There are other for-profit acoustic analysis packages such as ARTA, Clio, MLSSA, Omnimic, etc. but these are usually geared for loudspeaker and driver testing, not so much room correction.  But they can also function to serve as room analysis software.

Then there are streaming applications like JRiver that have room correction facilities that interface to freeware that when used together are quite good.

It seems that there are many ways to achieve better sound, and the more one is willing to get involved in the process and some of the details, the better the results (and understanding of what is happening at the same time).

Chris