Speaker upgrade

chasec2021

Hey guys, I posted on the architechtural issues I am having, and this does pertain to some of the stuff I posted, but it more has to do with comparing what i have already to what the next step would be. Would the R-15M's differ that much from the reference II's (61/81), and right now the prices for the premiers are not all that different from the Ref II's. Does anyone know what the differences really are? 

The R-15Ms are a low cost line of bookshelves that match the current "reference" line, which is really more a lesser line like the older Icon/Synergy lines

The R-150M or R-160M are the current Reference Premiere line version of this.

They would match to the RB-51ii and RB-61ii that were in the old Reference line.

So the current "reference" line is reference premiere and the lesser line is now reference.

It's confusing, and a subject of much debate amongst the forum  - obviously it sows confusion to have the names similar

I think my RB51s are superior in sound quality to my R-15Ms, and I was able to purchase the RB51s used for the same as a half-price R-15M.

The RB-61 and RB-81s have larger drivers, and will give more output especially down low.

I don't see a reason to "upgrade" from R-15Ms to RB-51s specifically, but ask any questions you have about them and I or others will try and help.  

The general idea is matching speaker lines where possible, but not so critical it can't be breached.   i have a completely different brand within one of my theaters, and that same theater has both reference speakers, and a reference premiere center -- sounds just fine.  

On the other hand, my semi-dedicated theater has a complete line of the reference 50 series, and it sounds incredible together - better. 

RK 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chasec2021 said:

Hey guys, I posted on the architechtural issues I am having, and this does pertain to some of the stuff I posted, but it more has to do with comparing what i have already to what the next step would be. Would the R-15M's differ that much from the reference II's (61/81), and right now the prices for the premiers are not all that different from the Ref II's. Does anyone know what the differences really are? 

Two totally different speaker lines with two totally different sets of specs and parts, with the II's being the superior speaker.

• Like 1

Ok, so if I replaced what I have with Ref ii's and went with the RB-61 ii's for my fronts, and the RC-62 ii's for my center, would the R-15 M's be good enough to be my rears? I want to have a long term set up, but I feel for my surround I need actual surround speakers such as the RP 240S. 

The only problem with that is I would have 3 different lines of speakers in that set up. Maybe for now just upgrade the fronts and center to the RB-61 ii's and RC-62 ii's, get some surrounds after, then when I move get some floor standing speakers and move the RB-61 ii's to the rears.. 

I saw on another thread about center channels that the RC-62 was a lot of peoples choice for center channel, so I want to revolve my setup around it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Welcome chasec2021....you're correct, the RC62ll is a great center, pairs well with a few fronts, especially with the RF82ll, but also the RF62 and 42. You're RB61ll would be great surround speakers.

Would the RB 61ii's and the RC 62 ii be way too much for the setup I have if i left the surrounds and rears as quintet satellites for the time being?

I would rather build off of Ref ii's over building on what I have now. I can just move the R 15M and R 25C to my bedroom. I have a quintet set in there as of now, so it would be a big improvement, and I don't need any more than that in my bedroom!

Edited by chasec2021

As long as the quintets are not "far" away relative to the other speakers. If they are within 10 feet or so, I would expect they can keep up.

The only issue is if they are far enough away they may not have the ooomph to keep up at higher volumes, but otherwise you can mix anything it's fine.  

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I really appreciate y'all's input. I think I will go with ref ii's and build from there and move the refs to my bed room. I actually had the refs in my bedroom at one point before my wall mounts came in, and they sounded fantastic. Just wish my den was a better set up for SQ. 

The distance from surround speakers and rears are about 5 feet as they sit now. I don't plan on moving them as they are all wall mounted and speaker wire run through the wall. I don't see myself changing positioning for placement.

• Like 1