Bass from Chorus II, Khorn, Belle,L:aScala????????HELP

jweeda

I own a pair of Chorus II's powered by an Adcom 200 watt amp. I enjoy music very loud, kind of like the way a rock concert sounds. I also enjoy the low end a concert can produce, the kind of bass you feel. Wondering how much more bass output/feel, I would get from one of the folded horn models--Khorn, LaScala,Belle. Would any or each of these models give me the concert type bass sound/feel I'm after?? Is this what the folded horn was meant to do? I will spend the money to purchase one of the more expensive models if they will give the desired results. I don't know anyone around Canton, MI who has these speakers.

Please help.cwm16.gif

------------------

JW

The folded horn does not give you "lower" bass, just a better quality of bass. The horn loaded bass has a feel that no cone can match, IMO. The Belle and LaScala speakers are basically the same (Belle is essentially a dressed up LaScala). Bass on these two go down to about 50hz or so. Klipschorns will go down to 30-35hz or so. All three would be a good upgrade - but I am not sure if they will give you that hard rockin' bass that you are looking for. These speakers all are wonderful (better overall vs. Chorus II IMO), but a demo is certainly necessary to know what you are getting into.

You might need subwoofers more than the speaker upgrade (if my intuition serves me properly). Adding high quality woofage will improve your bass and extend it, and make the Chorus II's work less (since the subs will do low bass duty). You should consider models like the Klipsch RSW12 or 15, the SVS Ultra, Velodyne HGS series, and several others. Do some searches in the Powered Subwoofers section for recommendations (and, of course, to ask specific questions on these).

I think you need a demo here - badly. That is the only way to find out which way will best suit your path to sonic bliss. That is really a matter of taste. Both upgrades have benefits, but the results will differ somewhat.

Anyone in Michigan who can help jweeda out?? And to jweeda: Make some effort to hear these speakers/subs. If it means driving a few hours, the sonic education you will get will far outweigh the trouble to do it.

And, Welcome to Klipsch!

First of all, if you have the corners and the cash, get the Khorns - they will rock. However, for really crankin' music, with concert force sound, that won't "break the bank," get the La Scalas. Compared to your Chorus (or Cornwalls, for that matter), the La Scalas will play much louder without dynamic compression. The bass, while not very low, projects into the room with serious authority at high sound pressure levels. For the application your after, you would be thrilled with the La Scalas - they approximate a rock concert quite well, IMHO.

Andy

I have heard the Cornwalls, LaScalas and Khorns on the same equipment and the same music selections in my living room. If you want bass like live music, you will need subwoofers with big drivers and lots of power. I would search for Tom Brennan's recommendations for JBL bass bins powered by Parts Express amps - you need something with lots of punch + lots of power. The big old horns have musically accurate bass, designed to be smooth and even in a household environment, not play as loud as possible ...

------------------

Colin's Music System Ak-2 Khorns & Klipsch subs; lights out, tubes glowing & smile beaming!

Thanks for the info and input. What exactly is a cornwall. Are my chorus II's considered cornwalls or is a cornwall an actual speaker- I have a heritage booklet and don't see the word cornwall in it. Where do I go on the Klipsch website to look for used speakers?cwm32.gif

------------------

JW

JW,

I spent a number of years crankin' a set of La Scalas -they do it well (listened at other levels too). A W-bin folded horn, like the La Scala, while it can certainly be used for home audio, was designed precisely for high output applications (the La Scala was originally designed by PWK to be a high output PA speaker - darn good one too!). W-bins have great output, tight bass, and are relatively compact, but they are not known for having particularly smooth bass response - Klipsch's own frequency response curves demonstrate this pretty clearly. Anyway, as always, let your OWN EARS be your guide.

Andy

P.S. I think you would really like the La Scalas - we had a blast!

jweeda- The chorus IIs are a sweet set of speakers, but the La Scalas truly ROCK! I have no doubt the Khorns are even more superior, but I have not had the privilege to demo them. When I bought my Chorus IIs, I was able to demo them side by side with the La Scala. The Chorus IIs were great, but the La Scalas could thump you in the chest and kick out tons of volume without distortion. They may not go real low, but the bass they do put out is crisp with a ton of punch. Back them up with a good sub and your good to go. Due to $$$ and space, I bought the Chorus IIs, and was happy with them until I could get the La Scalas. If you have corners and $$$, definitely go with the Khorns, otherwise the La Scalas or Bells will still rock your world. Hey, even the mighty Khorns benefit from a good sub.

------------------

Thanks,

Bill

Primary HTS

Mains: Black La Scalas

Rears: Belles

(Until La Scalas are refinished)

Center: La Scala

(Until Belle is refinished)

Rear Center: Recycle KLF C7

Front Effects: None Yet

Sub: Velodyne CT-150

Extra: Black Chorus IIs

Receiver: Yamaha RXV3000

TV: HD Toshiba 61" 61H70

DVD: Sony DVP-S560D

quote:

Originally posted by jweeda:

Thanks for the info and input. What exactly is a cornwall. Are my chorus II's considered cornwalls or is a cornwall an actual speaker- I have a heritage booklet and don't see the word cornwall in it. Where do I go on the Klipsch website to look for used speakers?
cwm32.gif

Chorus II: http://www.klipsch.com/products/cutsheet.asp?id=89

Cornwall:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/cutsheet.asp?id=84

You can find this stuff under the Home Audio / Classic menu on the main Klipsch page...

DD

------------------

My System

Thanks for the responses relative to my "wanting concert type bass". My Chorus II's and Sunfire sub are a great system, but I think I need to get into K-Horns and the new 15 inch Klipsch subs to really rattle the structural intent of my house. I'll probably put this stuff up for sale and try to upgrade.

cwm44.gif

------------------

JW

JWeeda:

When I first got my LaScalas, I was disappointed with the lack of bass (even after I put in the ALK cross overs). It just didn't seem to go low enough. In fact, my KG4's had better bass. For a while, I had both sets of speakers hooked up. The efficiency of the Lascalas blew the KG4's away, but the bass from the smaller speakers filled the gap. About that time I had met "Dannocaster" here in Nashville through the forum (he was trying to sell a pair of LaScalas and I wanted to take a look). Instead of buying the Lascalas, I ended up buying a Velodyne from him instead. The difference was amazing.

Ths first time I heard Khorns was nearly 30 years ago when I lived in Denver. I listened to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and was blown away. Unfortunately, I don't have the room for the Khorns

Like yourself, I listen to a broad mix of music at fairly high volumes (100 db+) with only a 65 watt/channel amp. You don't need a lot of horsepower for LaScalas. Test drive a sub. I think you'll like what you hear. Good luck.