OK Guys Tell Me What?

mpgwagon

Help me out! I've had these forever and no one can tell me what they are. The drivers are "Tuny LTD". The pic shows them next to my Scala's, yeah there big. The woofer is angled toward the top of the cabinets. The horn tweeters are mounted in the horn shaped cutout. The quality looks much too good for home built. Yes, they sound good.

------------------

http://www.geocities.com/mpgwagon/audio.html

The Karlson Coupler was supposed to combine the qualities of a tuned port, Helmholtz resonator, transmission line, and folded horn. They were very popular in the middle fifties, as factory built, kits, or home constructed, and came in a variety of sizes. The larger ones were frequently loaded with Altec 604s. Karlsons are tremendously efficient, rivaling the big Klipsch and Altec models, and have a very small cone excursion. The down side is a rather rough response and some pretty nasty midrange problems, which yours seem to have overcome by getting out of the cabinet and into that squawker horn.

There was a vogue a few years ago among some Altec VOTT owners to use Karlsons as subwoofers. Interesting concept, as the Karlsons would certainly have the efficiency and dynamic range to keep up with a VOTT (or a LaScala for that matter) while not forcing the K-coupler to operate where it would get into trouble.

There is still a Karlson website devoted to upgrades and refinements, although most people look at the design as an evolutionary "dead-end," along with the "Fold-a-Flex" and mastodon.

As for the drivers, the name rings a faint bell with me, but I can't quite place where it is. Some public libraries have back issues of High Fidelity or Audio. You might find some ads or even a review.

Good luck!

Capt'n Bobcwm40.gifcwm40.gifcwm40.gif