Center Channel For Khorns.

AlanWinslow

I have searched and read the posts about how good the Heritage line speakers work as a center match for my Khorns. Here is my dilemma. I need a shielded center. The center has to sit in front of my TV because my projector screen drops down in front of my TV and I have 20" to the floor from the bottom of it. I cannot place a speaker on top of the TV. The RPTV I have gets a very distorted picture if I set a regular non shielded speaker on the floor in front of it.

I understand the Acadamy would work well but very hard to find. The bottom line is which would work better (knowing not perfect) for now an RC-7 or a KLF-C7? Thanks for any help.

I have not heard an RC-7, but I'm satisfied with my KLF-C7 as center between La Scalas. A Belle with early AlNiCo drivers would be a great center for you. AlNiCo is naturally shielded. You may have to search for an AlNiCo woofer, but they're out there. This is likely to be a project. You'll likely find a speaker with some AlNiCo drivers and have to substitute the rest. Naturally, this could be done with a Heresy, La Scala or Cornwall, too.

John

there is an academy for sale on the klipsch bulletin board right now in the general questions forum. you can put bucking magnets on the speaker magnets and magnetically shield them, cheap and faily easy.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5s>

Email Me

Alan- I have an inverted La Scala on top of my RPTV, tilted down towards the listening area. I am working on a self-supporting cabinet design to hold an inverted Belle as my center, with enclosures on either side for DVD storage. Some screens allow for sound to travel through. Personally I never intended to replace my KLF-C7 at center, but at every stage where I added heritage speakers, the upgrades had a big impact. And none more than at the center channel. A Belle can be separated, for a little more versatility. If you just cannot find a way to use the Belle or La Scala, the KLF C7 will be adequate. Unless you find an excellent deal, an academy will cost you almost as much as another single heritage. Good luck!

I'm using a KLF-C7 as a center for my K-Horns. After finding out that the C7 is not an ideal match for K-Horns from this forum, and not wanting to get rid of the C-7 (it's a fine speaker), I decided to run an extra center channel speaker (my amplifier allows the use of 2 centers). So the C7 sits atop the TV and I have a JBL S-center on the floor in front of the TV, angled up.

Well, the "soundstage" improved for the center channel (it's wider), and the difference in the timbre between the K-horns and C7 seems to me less noticeable and pretty much inconsequential now. And anyway, even though the KLF-C7 does not match the K-horns, it DOES match my KLF-30 surrounds...better that than nothing I suppose...

This was a "cheap fix" for me, & it sounds good as far as I'm concerned. I mean, exactly how "bad" can K-horns with a C7 actually sound? I think I can live with this "incongruity" now, especially considering the cost and trouble of suggested alternatives (e.g., getting another Heritage as center).

------------------

32" Hi-scan Sony WEGA

Amp: Yamaha DSP-A1

Mains: '99 K-horns

Center: KLF-C7 & JBL S- Center

Front Effects: KSP-S6s

Rear Surrounds: KLF-30s

Sub: KSW-15

DVD: Pioneer DVD-414

MD: Sony Mini-Disc Recorder (Walkman)

VCR: JVC S-VHS

This message has been edited by jstanton on 09-16-2002 at 12:01 PM

Alan, I recently built a Lascala (split, over-under whatever you like to call it) to use as a center for my homemade Speakerlab Khorns. As some of the crew here mentioned I would have to shield the speakers. In my case I was able to use two sheets of ductwork type sheet metal. I placed one inside the enclosure and the other below the tv. So far, and it has been about a month, everything is fine. I think I am going to build a Belle bottom to use in place of the Lascala because the Belle is wider and I think it will look better. Best of luck

PS I almost forgot, the new center matches and sounds terrific!