2 watts for Khorns

Sid K

There has been a lot of discussion about using low power tube amps with Klipsch speakers in the tubes section of the forum.   A great deal of information is available, and consolidated, there.  For example, take a look at this:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/166078-some-thoughts-on-power-requirements/&&_fromLogin=1

Maynard

• Like 1

8 hours ago, seti said:

Here is a  cool power speaker related thread from DIY audio.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/204857-test-how-much-voltage-power-do-your-speakers-need.html

Interesting discussion, but in the edit to post #2 there's a serious error.  It states that one needs to square the measured voltage to get the power. That's totally incorrect- you need to divide the square of the measured voltage by the presumed impedance of the speaker to arrive at the approximation of the power.  So, if you figure the minimum impedance of the speaker at, say, 4 ohms, you need to divide the square of the voltage by that.  Remember that this is only an approximation which is subject to lots of variation, but it can provide some guidance as to the required power for a particular listening level.  If the impedance plot of the speaker is available, you can then use tones of various frequencies to make calculations based on the known impedance at those frequencies.  Keep in mind that most multimeters are not accurate above certain frequencies, so the specs of the meter would need to be verified.

Maynard

On 1/23/2017 at 2:23 PM, Sid K said:

Will 2 watts of clean high end power be sufficient for the Khorns (small room listening area)?

LMAO....

My Wife say's NO! .. currently she runs 40Wpc Kt88s

She ask me once a month if iv found her larger mono blocks yet.........

I run the power in the (Detached) cave, she runs the quality in the house.

I see you have Few "Likes", allow me to donate a first  :emotion-21:

2 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

Interesting discussion, but in the edit to post #2 there's a serious error.  It states that one needs to square the measured voltage to get the power. That's totally incorrect- you need to divide the square of the measured voltage by the presumed impedance of the speaker to arrive at the approximation of the power.  So, if you figure the minimum impedance of the speaker at, say, 4 ohms, you need to divide the square of the voltage by that.  Remember that this is only an approximation which is subject to lots of variation, but it can provide some guidance as to the required power for a particular listening level.  If the impedance plot of the speaker is available, you can then use tones of various frequencies to make calculations based on the known impedance at those frequencies.  Keep in mind that most multimeters are not accurate above certain frequencies, so the specs of the meter would need to be verified.

Maynard

Go ahead and post in the thread. They welcome any feedback.