K55/ Squawker Harsh Sound

Sid K

Hi Everyone.

Its me the guy always asking questions and looking for the answers from youse :rolleyes:

This question/topic came up in another of my threads on an unrelated subject.

I had pointed out that I didn't like the harsh sound from the midrange.

I was exploring changing the horn...thats another topic...no need to now (thats my opinion)

Deang had pointed out the possibility of it being the K55 driver (mine was probably a late 70's version)

I took his advice and I replaced it with the A55-G!

He was absolutely right.  I have only listened to it  for about 5hrs so far.

I don't know where to start with the improvements...its like listening to all of my music for the first time.  The seperation, detail, natural effortless sound too name a few.  From the reviews I have read about the A55-G I absolutely agree.  Amazing.

I have also changed out the K77 (also probably late 70's version) with a B&C driver and eliptrac horn.  With the same results.

If I would have known this I would have done this many years ago.

Deang Thank You Very Much!

:D

Oh..by the way..no more harsh sound.

Even when I turn it up..its still a nice, easy, smooth sound.

I listen to hard rock mostly and I have noticed the voices, snare drum, guitars, etc. are more apparent and distinct now.

The bass is more apparent now as well.  Not distorted.

It doesn't hurt my ears anymore except when I listen to it way to loud for long periods :huh: Self inflicted.

It's a well know fact that some of the single phase plug K-55-V's had a terrible "bounce back" at 9kHz. The ALK Universal provides adequate rejection, but the Type AA with Max Potter's "P-trap" does even better!  However: the best answer is to invest in a better driver. I'm glad you're enjoying the Allen driver, which is a worthwhile investment. 

• Like 1

Yes, I suspect eventually the majority of Heritage owner's will have switched over to this new driver as it seems superior to the older Klipsch models, I just wonder when, if ever Klipsch will start offering them in their new speakers?

9 hours ago, Deang said:

It's a well know fact that some of the single phase plug K-55-V's had a terrible "bounce back" at 9kHz. The ALK Universal provides adequate rejection, but the Type AA with Max Potter's "P-trap" does even better!  However: the best answer is to invest in a better driver. I'm glad you're enjoying the Allen driver, which is a worthwhile investment. 

:emotion-21:

Sid, I followed mark1101's advice and built an extreme slope crossover, the ES400 for the woofer / mid and an ES4500 for the mid / high as I have a Bob Crites CT120 tweeters. My A-55Gs are in the post and should be here next week.

The ES networks certainly cleaned up the harshness and widened the sound stage. I expect that the A-55Gs will make the sound cleaner.

1 hour ago, Wirrunna said:

Sid, I followed mark1101's advice and built an extreme slope crossover, the ES400 for the woofer / mid and an ES4500 for the mid / high as I have a Bob Crites CT120 tweeters. My A-55Gs are in the post and should be here next week.

The ES networks certainly cleaned up the harshness and widened the sound stage. I expect that the A-55Gs will make the sound cleaner.

:emotion-21: