Vintage Gear Repair

Tarheel

Just thinking out loud here. I have been thinking about the small number of techs, many of whom have excessive backlogs, and wondering if there will come a point when we cannot get our gear serviced.  Niche gear, especially R2Rs and turntables are even more problematic since shipping is expensive and hazardous.  I have just driven two hours each way to get one of my R2Rs repaired.  The grease had hardened and the pinch rollers balky.  Fixed for now but for how long.

Is anyone going into the business these days?  Are any of the "masters" tutoring youngsters or will the field just peter out.

Your thoughts?

• Like 1

I do repair work on the side, mainly tube gear, and have been hopelessly backed up for at least 5 years now.  I usually don't take any new work, there's so much waiting to be done.   I don't have many other contacts to refer people to, and the few I do trust as referrals are also usually backed up as well.  I concur that the trend of diminishing options will continue and I have no answers.  If I wanted to do repairs full time I could, and probably also hire people.  Audio repair work is a high-burnout field, and I can think of at least a dozen guys regionally who did audio repairs full time for a few years and all walked away from it.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EMRR said:

I do repair work on the side, mainly tube gear, and have been hopelessly backed up for at least 5 years now.  I usually don't take any new work, there's so much waiting to be done.   I don't have many other contacts to refer people to, and the few I do trust as referrals are also usually backed up as well.  I concur that the trend of diminishing options will continue and I have no answers.  If I wanted to do repairs full time I could, and probably also hire people.  Audio repair work is a high-burnout field, and I can think of at least a dozen guys regionally who did audio repairs full time for a few years and all walked away from it.  

I still find the work relaxing!!!  In fact, when I get stressed my wife banishes me to the shop.  There are still plenty of guys in the field doing repair/restoration/design work.  What makes things difficult is that many (like myself) generally limit their activity to their local area, don't do the work as a formal "business", and work on referral only.  So, there could be someone half an hour away from you who is unknown to you.  The best suggestion I can give to anyone who needs such services is to contact a local, or semi-local, antique radio or ham radio club.  There's often someone available with the knowledge, and experience, to help.

Although guys working on tube electronics are few and far between at this point, there are some very sharp younger guys who are very involved with it who will keep the tradition going for many years to come.  There's really no need to worry.

Maynard

• Like 2