Rp260f, rp260f, rf7ii

jm996

Hello, yesterday I demoed my first pair of klipsch speakers, the rp280fs. I liked them, however my listening room is 10x15,  so would the 260s be a better match? Also, I noticed pairs of open box (otherwise new) rf7iis for very good prices and free shipping. Should I even consider spending the extra 600 dollars over the rp280fs? I am kind of a bass head, and the 280s come with a free r112sw untill March 4th. The 260s come with a r110sw. I listen to all kinds of music, including some classical and jazz but mainly rock such as tool, black sabbath, Alice in chains, ect. What is the smartest decision to make as far as superior sound quality, detail, soundstage in my small room?

Thanks

Your room is about the same size as my bedroom and I just placed an order for a pair of rp-280f's and a rp-450c center channel. I'll give my feedback when I receive them. I currently have a set of Forte I's in that same room I am going to do an A/B comparison between them. The plan is to move the Forte's into the garage/man cave and keep the more modern Reference Premieres in the house.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

My vote is for the RP-280s or RF 7 II's. I have the RF-82 II's, model before the RP-280s, and the clarity is unbelievable. Since they are so clear, I can listen to them at lower volumes and still hear the vocals crystal clear. When you listen to them at lower volumes, the bass and surround effects is not as intense which would be good for a smaller room. Then if you ever want to get that bass and fill the room, just turn those bad boys up! Now, the RF7 II price for the dark cherry color open box is tempting too, but I didn't have that much to spend so I got the RF-82 II and couldn't be happier. 

On 2/26/2017 at 1:43 AM, Boilermaker86 said:

My vote is for the RP-280s or RF 7 II's. I have the RF-82 II's, model before the RP-280s, and the clarity is unbelievable. Since they are so clear, I can listen to them at lower volumes and still hear the vocals crystal clear. When you listen to them at lower volumes, the bass and surround effects is not as intense which would be good for a smaller room. Then if you ever want to get that bass and fill the room, just turn those bad boys up! Now, the RF7 II price for the dark cherry color open box is tempting too, but I didn't have that much to spend so I got the RF-82 II and couldn't be happier. 

Are you considering the RF82s better than the RP-280s or just brighter?  Have you compared the two side by side?

I have not tried out the Rp-280s. I'm coming from a Synergy F3 with dual 8" woofers like the RF-82 IIs. They sound similar, but so different in clarity. I was basing my opinion on the fact that I had the F3s in my college dorm, my first apartment, and now my house so I know what it is like to have big speakers in a small space. I had to listen to them louder than I wanted to hear the vocals in movies. Now that I have the RF- 82 IIs, I could see myself having an easier time with them in a small space because they are so clear at low volumes.

Now for the reference premier vs reference II, I just felt the center and back speakers were better on the old models and when with them for my upgrade. I could be wrong, but I felt the back speakers being ported would give me greater bass response with the sound effects and liked the center having two 6.5 inch woofers. I would love if someone had a comparison to see if I was right. 

As much as I love the RF7ii, I'd be jumping all over the RP-280's considering you're getting a free R112 sub.   That's a heck of a deal, and you're probably not going to have any complaints about bass with that sub in a room that small, especially if it's corner loaded.

• Like 1

Boilermaker86,

Understood.  Thanks for letting us know what you had previously.

Both lines are good though the RP line is supposed to be a little smoother than the RFs.  It will depend on your taste.  As Hasty says, the free sub is also a killer add on and might be a deal clincher.