McIntosh amp + Heresy III=good match?

soulboogaloo

Hi y'all, 

I'm brand new here, so I guess a bit of introduction couldn't hurt!

So I recently treated myself and bought an old used McIntosh MA6850 (2x150w RMS solid state), which is fantastic!

My main sources are a Pro-Ject RPM 9.2 evo turntable and a Bluesound network player for HD quality files. 

So now I'm coming to the impression that my speakers have become the weakest link. They are Davis Acoustics Stentaure, 2 ways floorstandings, 95dB sensitivity.

I mainly listen to jazz, classical, and also soul/funk from the 70s.

I'm really intrigued by the Heresy III and have read many things about them, whereas I still haven't had the opportunity to test them.

What do you think guys: could they possibly be a good match with my already very powerful amp? Providing that I live in a house that has a common wall with my neighbours, who already are sometimes complaining of the noise, I'm a bit concerned by the use of high-efficiency speakers with my amp, am I wrong?

I listen to the music in my living-room, surface is approximately 40m² (I think 430 sq ft), but the hifi system is only in a part of the room (let's a bit less than half the size). 

I've been told that with that surface I may suffer from a lack of bass. Of course, I enjoy tight basses, but I'm not especially found of too boomy ones, so I don't know if that is really relevant? 

Also, I find my current speakers way too directional, would you say that it's also the case with the Heresy III?

Otherwise I also was considering Kef R500 or Monitor Audio Silver 10's, but it's probably not the right forum to discuss them I guess! ;)

Thank you guys for your insights and opinions on that!

Soulboogaloo,

Welcome to the forum.

I have never heard any negatives with McIntosh/Klipsch Heritage combos so I don't see any reason why this combo won't work.

24 minutes ago, soulboogaloo said:

I'm really intrigued by the Heresy III and have read many things about them, whereas I still haven't had the opportunity to test them.

What do you think guys: could they possibly be a good match with my already very powerful amp?

I have used my HI's and HII's with many different amps from 52w/ch to 250w/ch and they have sounded great every time.

23 minutes ago, soulboogaloo said:

I enjoy tight basses, but I'm not especially found of too boomy ones

With the HIII's, you will get tight bass.  Not deep bass but midbass punch that is very defined and accurate.

Bill

• Like 1

I run a Mac 4100 with my La Scalas - your amp and speakers should work well together. It seems Mac gear and Klipsch get along quite well.

The Speakers will not need very much power - 10 watts on La Scalas will drive you out of the room. You'll be fine. The Loudness control will allow you to add in the "missing" bass without a sub. 

Try it, I think you'll be pleased.

Thank you so much guys for your kind answers! 

Actually my concern was this:

pissing_off_the_neighbors_mug.jpg?color=

I don't wanna piss my neighbours off!!! They are already complaining sometimes so I'd better off keep a low profile...

With hi-sensitivity speakers, I guess my amp's volume will always remain at 2%, right? Currently with my 95dB sensitivity speakers, 2% seems to be ok in the evening, 6% is loud, and 8% IS REALLY LOUD!

Hence, my concern, because, correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess the sweet range of the amp is probably higher than 2%, right?

On 2/27/2017 at 11:31 AM, soulboogaloo said:

Hence, my concern, because, correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess the sweet range of the amp is probably higher than 2%, right?

Not in my experience. Macs usually meets specs from 250mA (.25 A) to full power. You'll be fine.

The Mc has a volume control.................

Welcome. Are you thinking new speakers?

At 13-14 feet I use 0.1 watt to hear 70-75 dB (Klipschorn but the Belles are maybe 0.3 watts) measured at the speaker terminal. I use a 200 WPC amp currently but the new McIntosh MC275 is staring a me awaiting the weekend to be connected.

• Moderators
On 2/26/2017 at 3:48 PM, soulboogaloo said:

Otherwise I also was considering Kef R500 or Monitor Audio Silver 10's, but it's probably not the right forum to discuss them I guess! ;)

Welcome, there is no problems talking about any speakers, most people here have tried many. 

Sounds like your combination of electronics are really nice and should sound really good with the Heresy. Just try to control yourself with the volume knob, I did say try. :lol: