Question for moble

Jim Cornell

Jim:

Well, I am certainly not MH, but I have taken his advice in the past, and for my part, I would say no to the AMC, and maybe to the Quicksilvers.

I had an AMC preamp, thinking it was a good entry level into tubes, and that it would be fine with my Wright 2A3's. Well, once I got a Wright PreAmp, I realized all I had been missing. The AMC was not bad, but as my components got better, the deficiencies became all to apparent.(And I spent $125 on upgraded tubes)

AS far as the Quicksilvers, they are still a consideration for me right now. I was looking at the Silver 90's, but the seller just flaked out. They look pretty good, but I am still searching.

Good luck, and as hard as it may be, be patient in your search. Of course, upgrading and making changes is a part of the fun. Expensive, but fun!

Jobman

Ironically enough, I was dismissing hybrids the other day but do remember that the little AMC 3030 integrated contained a SS front end with EL-34 outputs (the original edition SOLDERED directly to the tube pins - you had to replace the whole card). You know, this was a sweet little amp that looked exactly like a lowly NAD integrated! Yeah, it is bettered by many but I was taken with the little beast the first time I heard it. It is overpriced and I wouldnt go this route, though. They are selling them big time all over the net, many with those daughter card tube sets that you need to upgrade if you are ever going to roll anything.

Quiksilver mades some great amps and do offer some used bargains where you are starting to see them turn up on Audiogon quite often. I did a whole thread on them awhile back if you do a search in 2 channel under Quicksilver.

There are so many options. Obviously, go the used route. I cant remember which speakers you are currently using.... Do you want to go with an integrated or separates? Based on your comments I would avoid the vintage route.

What do you want from it? Music you listen to? Volume level? etc

kh

Mobile

I found the amc, and i thought it was kinda cheapo looking, i really didnt like the tubes on thier sides!

Im looking into quicksilver, right now, i can get 2 brand new monoblocks for a grand!

Also im looking at a gloden tube 100 amp, and a conrad johnson tube amps!

The speakers im going to use with tubes are my Klipschorns!

Jobman, thank you for the reply, im looking new on the BB again, ive been wrapped up in H/T for so long, i never paid any attention to tubes!

So i know nothing about them nor what to get!

Regards Jim

This message has been edited by Jim Cornell on 09-18-2002 at 11:02 AM