Another choice, talking tubes again

Jim Cornell

Another NO go between those two. GTA has folded and no longer exists (as you figured out). Their little SE40 6L6, which looked WAY better than it cost, has a monster cult following due to the low price and the good sound for the price... but I wouldnt go with this as support is nil and the 100 is a more rare amp.

As for the McIntosh, steller reputation that exceeds its performance. I just dont think that amp sounds half as good as the rep, but it's built like a tank. Still, once again, there are other far more sonically pleasing offerings.

So I take it you can go to the $1000 range or so?

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-19-2002 at 05:29 AM

I myself am going for a Quicksilver GLA signature amp

Will see how it goes, it has bigger caps and output transformers!

Modified

Jim

I thought Mcintosh was top of the line myself Doug, look at the 240 on E-bay right now, if you get that one in good shape their worth a grand!

I also have a list of tube amp manufacturers here, its a hard choice

This message has been edited by Jim Cornell on 09-19-2002 at 12:01 PM

Jim,

You seem to be very impatient about purchasing these amps. You asked for advice and have been given some, but seem to be doing your own thing anyway.

If there is anyone who knows tube amps and preamps it is mobile. He has probably heard more than you and I ever will. I think if you work with him here, he will find what you are looking for, and within your budget as well.

Take your time this time. I'm sure you took a bath on all that equipment you just sold. Don't put yourself in the same position again. Just my 2 cents...

Mike

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 09-20-2002 at 07:33 AM