Earliest Klipschorns

lynnm

The first twelve PRODUCTION-UNIT k-horns were made by Baldwin Piano Co., under contract. The next seven were produced in a local cabinet shop in Hope, AR. After that, the production units were built by Klipsch, itself. Now, remember, we are talking about PRODUCTION UNITS, here. K-horns were made by PWK(himself) PRIOR to that first run of PRODUCTION UNITS, and were designated with "X" series nomenclature. The X-3 is in the museum. There are also other early PRODUCTION UNITS stored there. PWK started serial-numbering his second run of PRODUCTION UNIT k-horns with the numbers beginning after 100 because he wanted the public to have the impression that the company was a going concern, and not about to "go under" in a short time...as many new companies did(and still do). K-horns were never an inexpensive speaker, and it would be difficult to convince a customer to invest in them if it appeared the company was just starting up and the possibility of its failing in a year or two would leave the speaker purchaser with a warranty that had no company around to honor it. This was enhanced by his original warranty which was "lifetime unconditional"!! All that changed by the 1970's when the warranty was for 5 years instead of "lifetime unconditional"...no doubt this was due in part to the advent of solid state amplifiers, many of which had power ratings exceeding the 105 watts RMS maximum input for the k-horn!! It gets kinda expensive and eats into profits when speakers are being returned on a regular basis for tweeter and/or woofer replacement because some goon put 300 watts into em and turned the treble/bass controls all the way up, ya know? Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 09-20-2002 at 12:27 AM

HDBR

Been missing your stories. I always enjoyed reading your insight from behind the scenes at Klipsch.

JM

------------------

HT / Listening Environment:

Mains: '83 Khorns

All Heritage Center: K77, K400 above screen, Dual K22 in Heresy cabinets under screen.

Sides: Forte 1

Subs: Dual SVS Ultra +

Screen: 65"x120" DaLite Grey

Projector: Sharp PG-M20X

Processor: Lexicon MC-1

2 Ch Preamp: McIntosh C-36

Many NAD mono amps (for now)

JM,

Been kinda busy lately. Went back to work at the foundry for a time to help them out in the pattern-making shop as "contract labor" (they called me up and asked me if I would be willing to "help them out of a jam" for awhile)and have been setting up to build some "special" LaScalas out of oak-veneered 9-ply plywood...may build a few out of Black Walnut in the near future, too!! Anybody need a pair of custom-built replacement LaScala cabinets? LOL! Give me a holler!! Planning to build some new replacement Cornwall cabinets soon, too...hint, hint!! Just remember that these will be priced accordingly, though...but I will try to be fair about it!! I have been fabricating all the router forms and a couple of jigs in my spare time after the foundry hours the last week or so...will begin building the first LaScalas in another week!! I should have some pics to show of the oaken babies in a couple of weeks or so...keep your eyes peeled!! Time is NOW to pick up some raggedy cabineted LaScalas or Cornwalls cheap and grab up some new cabinets for em from yours truly soon!! Be the first one on yer block with oak or walnut LaScalas...Wouldn't it make a nice WAF factor Christmas present?...Think about it!! Smile.gif

Is the above bold and brazen advertising on my part??? OF COURSE IT IS!!! LOL!

------------------

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 09-20-2002 at 12:46 AM

I don't get the hint Frown.gif

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

I get the HINT...

HDBR, sounds like nice projects. Will you do custom work?

After seeing all the Pics of the nice exotic woods recently posted... How hard would it be to re vanieer a set of Khorns?

Not something I will be doing soon, but I may keep it in mind.

I also have a friend who has damaged Khorns that I may get my hands on. It may be worth the money to pay you to restore them to there old glory.

JM

------------------

HT / Listening Environment:

Mains: '83 Khorns

All Heritage Center: K77, K400 above screen, Dual K22 in Heresy cabinets under screen.

Sides: Forte 1

Subs: Dual SVS Ultra +

Screen: 65"x120" DaLite Grey

Projector: Sharp PG-M20X

Processor: Lexicon MC-1

2 Ch Preamp: McIntosh C-36

Many NAD mono amps (for now)

JM,

E-mail me with what you have in mind on veneers and repairs...keep in mind that when ordering veneers, it isn't like I get to pick em out myself (as I can with veneered plywood sheets)...and they are fairly expensive for what they are...the process is also labor intensive for something like a k-horn...lots of surface to re-veneer on them.

------------------