Genuine Klipschorn Knockoffs, Boston CL

jpc2001

Those look like Speaker Lab Ks. That's a hell of of lot of speaker for $250! I wouldn't be deterred by the particle board. They're heavy and survived this long, not exactly flimsy. Definitely worth checking out for someone who wants Khorns but can't afford or find any used. 

A prospective buyer will have to make a snap judgment of value based on little cues. Is it MDF or a lower grade particle board? Is there water damage, warping, or musty smell? Drivers and crossovers can be swapped, mold is forever.

What's going on in the 2nd photo? I would expect to see a mid-horn throat there somewhere. Maybe it's higher up, maybe it's off for the photo, maybe it's AWOL?

I own a pair of second-hand DIY khorn copies. It is a crap shoot. On mine the bass horns are solidly built plywood, very close to the khorn dimensions, and the crossovers were genuine Klipsch Type A. The bad news was the drivers were the wrong impedance. Real Khorns have a 4 ohm woofer, 16 ohm midrange, and an 8 ohm tweeter. Whoever put my DIY horns together had used 16-ohm drivers throughout. It was a shame, as they were suitable choices otherwise. So the choice was then to triamp and fix the levels in an active crossover, or replace drivers to get near a stock khorn spec. I replaced drivers. The whole project ended up costing a few hundred more than I'd hoped, $850 or $900 total. They're nice now, though they'll never be Klipsch.