My search for a tube amp has ended

Jim Cornell

WEll. Ummm.... You march to your own beat, ole JIm. Interesting choice considering the feedback you have been getting here. Hope it works out. These can sound rather "tube-like" in the traditional sense as in a bit golden colored with bass that is more plump and not the last word in transparency...but they are very sweet sounding. I last heard an MV-50 in PA hooked up to some Vanderstine 3A speakers and it was very sweet sounding but not exactly the last word in control; then again, the 3A is not anything like a Klipchorn.

One thing is for sure, it wont sound like your SS amps. If the tubes are indeed Golden Dragon, then you might consider replacing them. Tube will make a big diff here and the Chinese EL-34 are so-so but give it a listen first; learn the sound of the amp. IF the input tubes are chinese, they will definitely need to go. As I remember in the tube asylum, Svetlana EL-34 were also not a good match in CJ EL-34 amps. There are some very good 5751 NOS tubes floating around - check to see what they put in this position. Do a search on Tube Asylum for a good 6fq7. Let us know what are in these positions.

Congratulations though and good luck. It is really going to give you some of the rich tube sound but might be a big leap from your SS in what you are accustomed to.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-22-2002 at 04:03 AM

I already have the tube web site on favorites, im ready to do some replacing if needed, ill listen, then go from there!

Mobile, thats one hell of a tube amp you have there, i just caint go to high class right now, i have 3 kids growing up here LOL!

But once into it, ill be on my way!

Now down the road, ill need a tube pre amp!

Regfards Jim

This message has been edited by Jim Cornell on 09-22-2002 at 11:30 AM