Newbie Looking For a Place to Begin

unclefred

13 hours ago, garyrc said:

Welcome!

I agree that you might find that it was not the T-35 that was the culprit.  Bad recordings have many warts exposed by the midrange and the tweeter on the Klipschorn.   In my music collection, all reel to reel, all SACDs, all DVD-As, a well as all Blu-ray movies sound fine.  Several CDs and radio broadcasts (including HD radio) have problems.  The current K-77-Fs (very similar to T35s, but not made by Electro Voice, and with flat magnets, rather than round) are front mounted for less diffraction, and all crossover slopes are now steep. 

I remember they were not set up properly in our store and I'm sure we were using either Lafayette or realistic receivers hooked up to them. I believe they belonged to the owner because they weren't for sale. DIY speakers and CB radio were our main selling thrust.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unclefred said:

I remember they were not set up properly in our store and I'm sure we were using either Lafayette or realistic receivers hooked up to them. I believe they belonged to the owner because they weren't for sale. DIY speakers and CB radio were our main selling thrust.

If the T-35s were actually labeled T-35, the corner horns might have been DIY or perhaps Speakerlab rips.  The early K 77s were selected (via testing) by PWK from a pool of T-35s.

The Forte got at least one terrific review when it first came out, but nothing (to me) sounds as free-floating as a Klipschorn, properly installed, amplified, in a properly treated room with a high ceiling (doesn't need to be too high, but over 8.5 feet) and with favorable proportions. 

• Like 2

I would tell anybody to try Heritage, it's definitely worth it and hard to know what you're missing without hearing it first. 

When I had Synergy F-20s (lowest tier Klipsch that I bought on Newegg) I enjoyed them but wanted to upgrade. They were bright, and the RP-280Fs by contrast looked big and cool. I got a pair and was satisfied, no need to make further upgrades.

I ended up getting a pair of Heresies anyway when am attractive Craigslist listing went up, I mostly wanted to see what the fuss was about and if they'd really be that different.  Since then I've barely used the RP-280Fs. To my ear there's no wrong genre for the Heresies (and presumably other Heritage,) as long as they're fed a decent source it will sound good.

By the way, PA speakers give horns a bad rap. I hear PA speakers every day at work (EVs) and while they sound good for what they're supposed to do, I wouldn't want to hear them at home. By contrast, I hear Klipsch speakers every day at home and would want to hear them anywhere!

If you find the Klipsch tweeters harsh some quality tube amplification can "tame" some of the harshness. I have a Decware 2.3 watt amp that is delightful with my Belles and it can FILL my large living room (20x40) with sound. Keep in mind my low wattage amp cannot handle home theater duty but it is simply wonderful for critical listening.

Some of these quality low watt amps can be found used for a reasonable price. The talking tubes section here has a wealth of knowledge.

11 hours ago, chriswhotakesphotos said:

I would tell anybody to try Heritage, it's definitely worth it and hard to know what you're missing without hearing it first. 

When I had Synergy F-20s (lowest tier Klipsch that I bought on Newegg) I enjoyed them but wanted to upgrade. They were bright, and the RP-280Fs by contrast looked big and cool. I got a pair and was satisfied, no need to make further upgrades.

I ended up getting a pair of Heresies anyway when am attractive Craigslist listing went up, I mostly wanted to see what the fuss was about and if they'd really be that different.  Since then I've barely used the RP-280Fs. To my ear there's no wrong genre for the Heresies (and presumably other Heritage,) as long as they're fed a decent source it will sound good.

By the way, PA speakers give horns a bad rap. I hear PA speakers every day at work (EVs) and while they sound good for what they're supposed to do, I wouldn't want to hear them at home. By contrast, I hear Klipsch speakers every day at home and would want to hear them anywhere!

I've decided that the Heritage line, the CF and KLF lines are the ones i'm interested in. What I'm hoping for is a Chorus 2 or Forte 2 in a wood finish. I think you are right in that PA speakers I used to use like JBL and Peavey influenced my thoughts on horns.

3 hours ago, Airgrady said:

If you find the Klipsch tweeters harsh some quality tube amplification can "tame" some of the harshness. I have a Decware 2.3 watt amp that is delightful with my Belles and it can FILL my large living room (20x40) with sound. Keep in mind my low wattage amp cannot handle home theater duty but it is simply wonderful for critical listening.

Some of these quality low watt amps can be found used for a reasonable price. The talking tubes section here has a wealth of knowledge.

I will probably go the tube route or even a little Tripath style amp. I have one of those that sounds very good.

42 minutes ago, unclefred said:

I've decided that the Heritage line, the CF and KLF lines are the ones i'm interested in.

I have the CF-4.  Both the CF-4 and CF-3 get rave reviews from owners.

The Epic line was only produced three years 1994, 95 and 96.  We pretty much call those Version 1,2,3 and all years are slightly different from one another.  All three versions are good but the Version 1 is considered the "holy grail" of the CF speakers. 

When searching for electronics, the CF speakers like a lot of power, usually solid state power.  I don't think they benefit from tube amps like the Heritage models do.

Good luck, I hope you find what you want.  If you have questions about the CF-4, I have the v1 and I'd be happy to answer any of your questions if I can.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I have the CF-4.  Both the CF-4 and CF-3 get rave reviews from owners.

The Epic line was only produced three years 1994, 95 and 96.  We pretty much call those Version 1,2,3 and all years are slightly different from one another.  All three versions are good but the Version 1 is considered the "holy grail" of the CF speakers. 

When searching for electronics, the CF speakers like a lot of power, usually solid state power.  I don't think they benefit from tube amps like the Heritage models do.

Good luck, I hope you find what you want.  If you have questions about the CF-4, I have the v1 and I'd be happy to answer any of your questions if I can.

I've seen several CF-2's for sale, but a 3 or 4 is what I would want. If I run across some I'll shoot you a message. Thanks.

Just now, unclefred said:

I've seen several CF-2's for sale, but a 3 or 4 is what I would want. If I run across some I'll shoot you a message. Thanks.

Yes, go for the CF3 or CF4.  There is something about the larger 10" and 12" woofers respectfully, along with common horn and CD that gives the larger speakers the reputation they have.

They don't come on the market all that often.  I have a pretty good idea for valuating that particular speaker, do please do shoot me a PM if you find something.

I want you to be open to the other fine choices you suggested.  Although I like my CF-4 there are some who will swear by the KG series and others can advise you on that.  Likewise by reputation the Chorus II and the Forte II might fill the bill for your Klipsch needs.

• Like 2

Nice score @unclefred!  A hundred and twenty-five bucks per speaker, can't beat that!

The Forte does not come on the market all that often, in 10 months I have only seen a couple for sale, and at twice the price you are paying.  If you try them and don't like them, you can easily sell them for what you have invested and maybe even make some extra to go to your next purchase. 

In the meantime, enjoy.  B)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Nice score @unclefred!  A hundred and twenty-five bucks per speaker, can't beat that!

The Forte does not come on the market all that often, in 10 months I have only seen a couple for sale, and at twice the price you are paying.  If you try them and don't like them, you can easily sell them for what you have invested and maybe even make some extra to go to your next purchase. 

In the meantime, enjoy.  B)

Thanks, that's my idea as well. They look very sharp in the photos, but are black, unfortunately. However, I read your old refinishing thread :) So if I keep them I might do that too.

• Like 1