any Hendrix fans want to help me out?

ajgb72

Ok if you are out there, well I went on to amazon and there are 44 Jimi Hendrix cd's, I usually just download my music (sorry if that offends anyone) but I really want to get some of his compilations. I want to get like a full set of his cd's, but I don't know which ones to get! If you could help that would be great, or if you just wanna talk about possibly the best muscician of his time, then post on...

This message has been edited by ajgb72 on 09-23-2002 at 12:37 AM

You should "buy" his proper albums: Are You Experienced, Axis: Bold As Love, Electric Ladyland & Band Of Gypsies. I was assuming that there would be a Best Of Live cd that would compile his performances at Woodstock, Fillmore East & Monterey, but I don't see anything so it looks like you'll have to buy those separately.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

I'm a huge Jimmy fan. Some killer discs that have come out in the last 10 or so years since they released the rights of his studio work to his sister are "South Saturn Delta" and "Blues" both are killer. They are Probably my fav Jimmy CD's. As far as compilations that I am aware of "Are you Expirienced" is probably the best if you want his popular stuff. "Kiss the Sky" is also good. Not a fan of Axis disc for the most part.

------------------

89' K-horn's(Mains)

81' Cornwall's(Rears)

85' Heresey's(Centers)

KSW-12(Sub)

Yamaha RX-V1

61" Hitachi WIDESCREEN

Dish Net w/Opt Out

X-Box w/Opt & Comp Outs(DVD/CD)

JVC S-VHS

Sony Minidisk

-------------------------

This message has been edited by erikjohn on 09-25-2002 at 12:13 PM

In addition to tthe studio albums Hendrix did, and, of course, his performances on the Woodstock album, there was one more...it is (and WAS obscure enough as an album when it first came out, and I have yet to see it offered on CD: "Jimi Hendrix/Buddy Miles-Live" is an excellent example of his live work, with the added benefit of having Buddy Miles with him. One of the reasons the "Experience" broke up as a band was Jimi's insistance on "getting it right" (to him, anyway) and Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell tired of it...keep that in mind when you hear all of the stuff that was released years after his death...He could have released it when he was still alive, but chose NOT to do so!! There was a reason he chose not to do so!

I forgot this tidbit....there are TWO versions of the "Are You Experienced" album that were originally released...the European version, that had more songs on it, but deleted one that was found on the American version...these two versions were released over a year apart(the American version was the later release for our market). Jimi was VERY popular in Europe LONG BEFORE his performance at the 1967 Monterrey Pop Festival brought him to the attention of us over here!!

• 2 weeks later...

How can anyone not like Axis: Bold as Love? This is an AMAZING ALBUM and one of his best. Castles made of Sand is Hendrix in pure form. The title track, "Bold as Love" has one of the all-time best endings of any Hendrix song where he brings in one of the first uses of the "Hurricane" box that you then hear on ALL the tracks, including the drums. Cranking this track to full on vinyl is one of the most chill inducing things I have ever done in Audio!

I agree, as a first purchase, make sure you have all the orginal recordings, preferably in vinyl which sounds so much better than digital here, there is no contest. I will also second the purchase of "Cry of Love" as well, released right after his death. The original "Smash Hits" record has an excellent version of "Red House" probably the best. Even the filler songs here are good.

For the basic collection, at least have:

- Are you Experienced*

- Axis: Bold As Love*

- Electric Ladyland*

- Smash Hits*

- Band of Gypsies

- Cry of Love

- Monterey International Pop with Otis Redding

Cliche definitely, but there will NEVER be anyone like him.

Mobile,

My bad, I didn't mean I don't like Axis it's just not my fav. I love castles made of sand as it is probably one of my favorite Jimi tunes, I also really like If 6 was 9, Little Wing and Spanish Castle Magic. I really do prefer his Live stuff over the studio work.

Does anyone own Jimi Hendrix-Blues or SOuth Saturn Delta? I would like to hear someones opinion on these albums. Track 2 on Blues "Born under a Bad Sign" is awesome. It has an awesome bass line.