FS: Tucson area industrial (split) La Scalas

erik2A3

While I understand pictures will be worth far more than these introductory words (and pictures WILL follow later this morning), I have decided to sell our trapezoid/fiberglass/aluminum La Scalas in order to replace them with a more main-living-room-friendly-pair in birch ply.  We just moved to the Tucson area from Houston, where I had been using them in a dedicated listening room.  I don't have the luxury of such a listening space here, and the juxtaposition and contrast with our room decor and furniture is too strong.  My dear wife has tolerated my audio passion (insanity) for thirty years, and she gently admitted to me that she wouldn't mind another pair that was a bit more in keeping with the other furniture in the room.

I am the second owner, having purchased them a few years ago from a former disc jockey.  They are in quite good shape, with the usual tell-tale signs on the protective aluminum trim that reveal their life was one of active but cared-for use on the road.

They are in perfect working condition and very presentable if you don't mind their otherwise battle armor utliitarian appearance.  Their factory networks were the AL, which I still have, but were replaced with the new pair of type A networks that are better suited to my very low power amplifiers.  The AL crossovers have unfortunately not enjoyed the best reputation, at least on this forum, but I will say, based on many years of experience with various Heritage series networks and speakers, the AL can, in my view and experience, be very satisfactory with a decent amount of horse power in front of it.  The amplifiers I have built are in the 1.5W to several watt range, and the AL, being a higher order (and thus somewhat more lossy) crossover, just wasn't happy being driven by such small amps (some of which are REALLY heavy!).

They have new cabling between the crossovers and input terminals, and I have by-passed the fuses and diodes in favor of a more straightforward and simple signal path between speaker and amps.  Diodes and fuses have been removed, with the fuse holder holes finished instead with black nylon hole plugs.

Vitals:  I bought them for $1,000, which was very fair for their condition, and told the seller that I would offer them for the same price (hopefully to another Klipsch devotee, who I know will take care of them.  I have never liked the idea of trying to make a profit from a sale where the former owner had been good enough to let them go to me for perhaps less than he or she might/could  have gotten.  Subsequently, $1K will be the firm price for this sale if you would like them with their original AL networks (we left Houston with both AL networks packed in different boxes for some reason, and I have found one but not the other.  There are a couple of boxes still unpacked, so the second should be here someplace.

My price (which, please, is not negotiable)

$1,000 (for speakers and original AL crossover networks)

$1,200 (for speakers and my type A crossover installed, with the AL networks also included but separate and removed from cabs.

I will not ship them anywhere.  They are for local purchase in the greater Tucson, Phoenix, or other surrounding areas.  I am willing to drive an hour or two in any direction from Tucson to meet a strongly interested buyer who may be coming from a further distance.

As stated above, pictures will follow later this morning or afternoon.

Thanks,

erik

Followup:  In the event that the second AL network (see above) can't be found, I will sell the speakers with the now-installed type A networks for the same price I would have sold them with the Al networks:  $1,000

• Like 2

A simple endorsement for LSI's:  Mine are my favorite speakers by a looooong shot. My Khorns sit idle because of placement issues.  With LSI's you can drag them anywhere including the yard for a party.   Further, I would not part with my La Scala's for $ 1000.00.  Good luck with your sale Erik but your not going to need it.  These will go quick at your very generous price.

• Like 1

Thanks, both.  Deep3shot - totally agree.  Of all the loudspeaker systems I've built myself or owned, the LSIs are the first I never had to worry about in terms of corners getting bashed, veneer getting damaged, etc.  They have been a pleasure to live with and use in that respect.  Thanks for your endorsement, as well.

Minermark:  Taking clear pictures of networks in split LSIs is a bit of a chore.  The midrange/tweeter cab has to be partially taken apart in order to get at them, but I am of course willing to get the best image I can short of taking them out.  I used new high tolerance Dayton caps, but can't remember if the choke on the woofer and autoformer are also new or parts bin pulls from bunches of other networks that have been taken apart and/or rebuilt over the years.  Inductors and autoformers have a much longer life-span compared to capacitors (referring to the old "bathtub condensers" (as my ham radio building pop calls them) so for me have been less of a concern.  Still, if they are factory original chokes, one could always update with new iron or air-core without too much trouble.

Note on crossovers

As someone far more interested in tube amp building and circuit design, I don't build crossovers with expensive hardwoods, nor do I try to make them look like something to be hung on a wall.  As I remember, parts are mounted on a piece of pine or ply, well soldered, and built according to schematic diagram.  Thy will do their job as well as if the same parts were mounted on polished ebony, bird's eye maple, or mahogany.

spending time with teenage niece and nephew visiting from Houston; I'll get a pic in of crossovers later.

• 2 weeks later...