Best CD player

Audio Flynn

I was looking at Mobile's signature tonight and was thinking about the best one could do on the digital front end for the past month.

He has the Rega Planet; which for $ 1000 retail is one of the best at that price point.

But for $ 2000 used would an old Mark Levinson or Meridian be significantly better for low jitter and better D/A conversion?

I am not able to audition these manufacturers in my area.

My opinion is that the newer machine will sound better, as the newer DACs are superior to the older ones. My new Sony 9000es sounded much better than my previous $1800 Anthem CD-1 player -- and there was less than 5 years between them.

If you are prepared to spend $2K -- why not opt for the Rega Jupiter? Certainly some other options out there in that price range.

Remember "diminishing returns" -- I doubt a $2K player will sound $1000 better, but that's me.

I bought my Rega Planet, which is the original model, used for a little over $400 quite a few years back (1998). I have heard a handful of under $1k 24Bit processor machines and still prefer the Rega Planet Burr Brown 18bit player to many of the lessor quality 24bit dacs with less than stellar analog components. The Rega Planet is one of the most musical players in its price range. It DOES need quality interconnects and benefits from a MASSIVE breakin time as it sounds quite closed in and rather lackluster the first few hundred hours. After that, it in an extremely analog sounding CD player. I think it better the tjoeb player which I just compared it to a month or so back. I cant think of too many other players that REALLY better it in that price range.

If you are willing to go higher, one player used that I really thought sounded sweet was the Meridian 508 20 and 24bit player over the last few years. I thought they sounded damn smooth and very nice. I have heard the Levinson separates as well as a few of the highly touted Wadia players such as the 850. I actually liked the Wadia 850 though it's own preamp section but in a direct comparison with the Planet, it won on resolution but was not necessarily any more engaging musically, something I find the most important.

I dont know what the Meridian 508 is going for these days but it should be more of a deal used about now. I was also impressed with the 20 bit Arcam 8 player with the full metal jacket version looking better but sounding no different to me. Still, it's a nice player and at the time, I actually thought it sounded more natural than the 24 bit Alpha 9; it was definitely the DEAL of that line.

Quite a few options and I sure havent heard them all. I would look for a player with a good analog section too including power supply and filtering etc. This has a major impact on the sonics. A CD player is not just the chip.

Kelly,

What do you think accounts for me liking the sound of the 9000es over the CD-1? The 9000 sounded much smoother and dynamic when compared to the CD-1.

The CD-1 had all the things you say make a good player (with the exception of the transport), yet it fell short.

Must have been that 6922:)

I have heard good things about Marantz units, especially those modified with tubes, like the Ah! $579 AH! NJOE TJOEB (pronounced "new tube") 4000 CD Player. See the also Heart CD 6000, also a Marantz modified player, at the same source: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0102/heartcd6000.htm.

Since I have not heard or read about the upgraded Pioneer unit that Kelly (mobile homeless) writes about in other posts.

I would run, not walk, to hear the $579 AH! NJOE TJOEB (pronounced "new tube") 4000 CD Player. In the equipment archives at http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/, ex-Stereophile Dick Olsher says:

"All considered, the Njoe Tjoeb represents a fantastic bargain - a clear 100 on our value for the money scale. Outfitted with the Amperex Bugle Boys , the Njoe Tjoeb remains my reference in the under $1,500 price category. If you're a music lover on a budget, look no further, and treat yourself to this Dutch Bonbon. The old Tjoeb is dead. Long live the Njoe Tjoeb!"

He has since reviewed other, tube modified CD players. See the Heart CD 6000, also a Marantz modified player, at: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0102/heartcd6000.htm.

"Resolution of low-level detail also competitive with any player I've heard to date priced under $3,000. The sound was integrated from top to bottom; no one octave vied for my attention. The grain and grit I have come to expect from inexpensive players were completely absent."

Kelly said in a post "In a head to head comparison with a Tjoeb 99, I thought the Rega sounded more full bodied with more soul. But the Tjoeb is also a very good unit for the money. I liked both but actually felt the Rega to be more analog sounding than the Tjoeb. The Tjoeb is a very open sounding player, however."

Everyone calls it a modified Marantz, but the Marantz really begins as a Phillips.

Three more notes:

1. I use a vibration isolation platform made of tennis balls and a 30 pound garden paving tile, which I wrote about for the Enjoy the Music.com web site (see http://www.enjoythemusic.com/tweaks/), and this seems to help enough to be worth the twenty dollars invested.

2. A good remote is essential. The more audio components that have remote control, the better.

3. Myself? I would also look for one that is a combination DVD/A and CD player.

2.gif

From Mobile's post

"If you are willing to go higher, one player used that I really thought sounded sweet was the Meridian 508 20 and 24bit player over the last few years. I thought they sounded damn smooth and very nice."

The study I have been able to make of the Meridian company really impresses me. With all of the overseas travel I have to endure I do not have allot of time to hunt and listen to components in person.

The interviews with Bob Stuart of Meridian are very disciplined and informative. He is one of the only people I have read about that can put his concerns about the SACD technology in terms that a garden variety audiophile(pile) can understand.

My open minded risk taking personality is one where I can buy something without demo..ing it.

The Levinson equipment could be quite impressive(although quite expensive) but a used Meridian 508 could be the last CD player I would buy, if it could be had for less than $ 2000.

Im very happy with the results Im getting from a "black box" called ADE 24. It definitely make the sound more believable, imaging is now more crisp and defined. The sound is definitely more analog like. Here is the link:

http://www.margules.com.mx/magenta/af24.html

Mobile, I wish you were interested in trying it, specially since you are an analog lover.

I'm interested in it, and wouldn't mind giving it a whirl on my Marantz DV7010, which will be the source machine for my second system. I'm outta money -- so it's going to have to be a birthday present from my wife in Janurary.

I really like the sound of the 9000es mated with the triodes on my RF7's. I'll be leaving well enough alone here.