Speakers optimized for sub blending

adam2434

11 hours ago, adam2434 said:

In the case of a sealed speaker with a selected crossover point where the speaker starts to roll off, the result would be a summed 24 dB high pass slope, when using bass management in an AVR or processor, so this would be a combination of acoustic and electric for the highpass (12 dB from the speaker and 12 dB from the AVR or processor).  The low pass would be an electronic 24 dB slope provided by the AVR or processor.   

From what I understand, ideally you would want a symmetrical slope on both sides of the sub/main crossover, and the above is a way to achieve that.  The article I linked above gets into this, if you are interested.

If AVRs, processors, or outboard DSP allowed one to apply a 24 dB high pass (and some do), then one would have more flexibility to achieve the symmetrical 24 db high and low pass filter for the sub/main crossover.

The erratic room-dependence of low frequencies may totally swamp any benefits of a symmetrical 24 dB slope anyway...bigger fish to fry type of thing when it come to bass frequencies.

Anyway, I feel I've beaten this dead horse enough.  I feel like I've been a bit misunderstood, but that's ok, no worries.  :)

You are not misunderstood.  You are just painting the picture in black and white when it is all shades of gray.

There needs to be an accounting of all facets of the system including speaker positioning because that drastically affects phase (just one thing).  

If you had the ability to achieve the exact phase timing between both speakers and one sub, you need to have the sub exactly the same distance from both speakers.  If you have two subs it's easier.  That is just one simple item.

Your premise works in theory but needs a lot of hard work to do in practice with associated electronics.  Also for myself, I like a softer rolloff on the lower frequencies.

I would rather a 12db roll off (dual subs optimally positioned) with no electronic assistance on main speakers meaning they need to be full range, down into the 30s without distortion.  I don't believe speakers that roll off higher provide the right blend for deeper human voices and instruments.  If you do not go with good full range, you need lots of electronics to keep the nasties out.

To me that is more optimal but that is just me.

• Like 1

I don't know all the technical jargon, but I do know that my RSW-10d positioned dead center between my RB-75's with a lowpass set at 50Hz, 180 degrees phase, DSP EQ mode set to "flat", sounds about as "blended" as I could want.:D

When I pulled the 75's apart another 18 inches than in photo, it sounded even better.

Bill

RB75 RASW10d Rig no grills.jpg

• Like 1