Your Top 10 Vinyl "Must-have" suggestions.

No Disc

Since I'm about to jump back into Vinyl, I'd be interested in knowing your suggestions for 'Must -Have" Vinyl.

Jazz and Blues are my favorites, but plese feel free to suggest anything.

- tb

Mobile - I have found your LP suggestions in a previous post and begun working on finding those.

Agree with DSOTM but not the version. I have access to 3 copies of DSOTM including the MF version. It is not the best. Amazingly it is outplayed entirely by the Greek version that I have. I say amazingly because it cost me $6 whilst the MF version cost my friend $45.

Would add The Wall to the list (German version is good) plus:

Wild Child Butler/Wild child Butler - direct to disk recording.

Bert Kaempfert - Africaan Beat - 1961 - Decca

Beethoven - The Pastorale Symphony - Montreux - mono - 1959

Bruebeck - Take five - 180 gramme

BEETHOVEN/CONCERTO NO. 5 180g LP - Decca

JACINTHA/HERE'S TO BEN #'D LTD ED 180g 2 LP - GrooveNote

Stevie Ray Vaughan - In Step - 180g LP

Paul Simon - In the park - live double album

Marvyn Gaye - What's goin' on?

The Beetles - Seargant Pepper's / Hey Jude / Rubber Soul

Additionally some artists I have found that are bargain basement stuff with amazing quality on all their recordings I have found (if you like their music) are:

UB40

Annie Lennox

Sade

Bob Marley

there are lots more but I cant think of them right now as I am in the office and away from my collection.

Tim,

I'm going to assume you already have many, if not some of the most commonly known Jazz works by Ella, Miles, Monk, Mingus, Coltrane, Rollins, etc. This is not my "Top 10" because I have more of a top 200 or so. This list of 10 LP's that were maybe early in some of these artist careers or as a group, well worth having, often overlooked, if not unknown by many.

Page One Joe Henderson

Here To Stay Freddie Hubbard

Woody III Woody Shaw

The Real McCoy McCoy Tyner

Wynton Marsalis Wynton Marsalis

Four In One Sphere(C.Rouse,B.Williams,B.Riley,K. Barron)

Duke Ellington & John Coltrane Duke Ellington, John Coltrane

The Cape Verdean Blues The Horace Silver Quintet plus J.J. Johnson

Adam's Apple Wayne Shorter

Maiden Voyage Herbie Han****

LP's by Lee Morgan, Dexter Gordon, Cannonball Adderly, Art Blakey, Dinah Washington, Jackie McLean, Roland Kirk, Shirley Horn, Betty Carter, Keith Jarret, along with additional works by the artist's in the initial 10, only scratches the surface of what is available. Send me an email if you want me to give specific titles. Happy vinyl hunting.

BTW..........

How's your research coming on choosing a new turntable? Depending on how much you put in the budget, there are many excellent choices above and below $1000 whether you go new or used. Contrary to what some may believe, if vinyl is going to be an important source in your system, you will not regret the additional money spent purchasing a "quality" TT, tonearm, and cartridge.

Klipsch out.

Klipsch out.

I'm late but fwiw, here are some of my favorite vinyl titles and artist:

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Brubeck Time, Newport 1958,Time Out., Gone With The Wind, Jazz At the Oberlin, Time Changes, Time Further Out, and Jazz Goes To College.

Lee Morgan - Candy, RumpRoller

Hank Mobley - Hank Mobley, Roll Call

Grant Green - Idle Moments, Solid, GrantStand, and Iron City

Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil

Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin'

Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch

Horace Silver - Song For My Father, Blowin' The Blues Away, In Pursuit of the 27TH Man

Kenny Burrell - Guitar Forms, Weaver of Dreams, Man At Work, Moon and Sand

Sonny Rollins - Vol. 2

Lester Young - Giant of Jazz

The Buddy Rich Big Band - Big Swing Face

Eddie "LockJaw" Davis - I only Have Eyes For You

Stanley Turrentine - Rough'N Tumble, Everybody Come On Out, Sugar, Easy Walker

Shirley Scott and Stanley Turrentine - Blue Flames

Donald Byrd - Black Byrd, Places & Spaces, Stepping Into Tomorrow, Street Lady

Bobbi Humphery - Black and Blues, Satin Doll

John Lee Hooker - Sings Blues, The Healer, Hooked On The Blues

Eagles - One of These Nights, The Long Run and Hotel California

Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac, Rumours

Buckingham Nicks

Rare Earth - One World, MA

Also look for 50's-early 60's jazz titles by Art Farmer, Ben Webster, Art Pepper and Gerry Mulligan.

Enjoy your vinyl hunt, I certainly enjoyed mine this summer.

Lots of good suggestions by all of you. I really appreciate it. Seems like some of you have some pretty extensive collections.

I had hoped to inherit my brothers LP collection, about 3000 + LPs, when he moved out of the country, but the dummy stored it in a non-climate controlled place and they got damaged. I was bummed.

I'm a Supertramp & Floyd fan so I'll most likely hunt for those suggestions.

Jazman - I've started to collect some of those. I just picked up Gerry Mulligan meets ben webster MFSL and Eric Dolphy In Europe.

I've got several of those on CD you mentioned on CD and I like them so I will have to get them on vinyl.

I think when I have about a grand saved I'll go to my local tube hi-fi store who happens to carry both the Music Halls and the VPI, and let them earn my biz. I just might take along the EICO too.

Again, thanks all.

p.s. Ok I have to gripe now. I don't like that when I am replying I cannot scoll back to see the entire thead.

albums on vinyl...hummm. I have about 3,000 so I'll pick 10 without rehashing the same old Bealtes White Album, Floyd, Ramones, REM, Jam, etc. you see on lists from Rolling Stone and on VH1. I like that stuff, too, but here's some more selections I like just as much although not every track is always awesome.

NOTE: I'm clueless on Jazz & Blues. I'm not picking these based on recording quality...just song quality

This is a random listing of lps I like that are inbetween being well known and obscure. Most are major label well distributed lps.

Avant Garde turned POP:

* Laurie Anderson - Strange Angels

Great humor, some kinda world beat some slow and atmospheric...love her voice on this lp...the most musical of all her recordings. I just can't get enough.

UK Pop:

* Prefab Sprout - "Two Wheels Good" or titled "Steve McQueen" in UK

New Romantic less pop sounding version of early Duran Duran:

* Japan - "Quiet Life"

Some of the slow songs really come together on this lp

Post punk with pop/rock sounds:

* Replacements - Let It Be

A well known classic from '84 that varies from accessible "I Will Dare" and hard rock cover of Kiss's "Black Diamond"--the best KISS cover I've heard to odder songs like "Androgynous".

Jangle power pop:

* Soft Boys - Underwater Moonlight

Robyn Hitch****'s early classic w/favs "I Wanna Destroy You", title track and Positive Vibrations. I also like a lot of Roby Hitch****'s solo work--esp. "Element of Light"

Raw pop rock:

* The Neighborhoods - "...the high hard one..."

The closest they came to equalling there legendary live shows. One of my favorite live acts of all time. This lp has favorites like "Real Stories", "WUSA" and more. The single "No Place Like Home" and "Prettiest Girl" put them on the Boston map.

Guadalcanal Diary - "2x4" or ealier

* REM sounding turned harder rock on this album

Country Punk Rock:

* Beat Farmers - "Tales of the New West"

New Wave:

* Flash and the Pan

UK Electric Folk Pop:

* Billy Bragg - Don't Try This at Home

I love the song "Everywhere" and this lp is filled with great songs.

* Shreikback - Oil and Gold

"Only Thing That Shines" is an all time favorite.

Great thread going here ... I've been out of vinyl since my college days (73-77) so I'm going to wait until I've got my vinyl setup in place and a few things to listen to ...

Don't you hate these filter programs? I've had so many legitimate emails at work SHREDDED before I saw them ... Good intentions, bad results. Actually, it's a blatant attack on freedom of speech. Peer pressure does more to control what we say on here than any software ever could.

Chris