Has Anybody Heard from HornEd lately?

HDBRbuilder

ED,

It is good to hear from you, and I am happy it is your being kept busy and NOT health problems that have been keeping you away as of late!! I am busy building up a few pairs of Oak LaScalas lately...I will post some pics in another week or so of them, and hope they meet your discerning approval!! See you soon!!

Yeah, Boa, that's the real me in peasant garb at another faire last year. It ought to be blushing a bit now since Tom of "Tom's Money Pit" said it was a fitting avatar for someone with wisdom. Of course, the "puddle of wisdom" under my hat has gotten just enough from life and universities to know that here is an "ocean" of things for which I haven't a clue.

Hmmm, do you suppose that is how a bright, young kitten like "cluless" came up with her alias? And, Boa, I never realized the source of your alias had such a skin condition... it must be rough. LOL

I started to build a Viking hat out of a Klipsch logo with horns... just for old avatar times sake... but the reality of it was that Vikings never wore metal helmets with horns. There were some Nordic predecessors in the Bronze Age that did... but that was way before the Vikings took their plunder and there pleasure out of medieval Europe. In modern times, they plunder a wider range of the world with cutesy Bang & Olufsen sound systems... but they just don't measure up to the honest sound that PWK brought out of his "woodshed factory" over a half century ago.

We are indeed fortunate to live in interesting times. -HornED

PS: Justin, sorry I missed you last year at TRF. Perhaps one of these days when things slow down to a dull roar I will send you a print suitable for framing done in my handmade Chaucer font. The font has a built-in artificial intelligence of my own design which makes each letter slightly different so it approximates hand caligraphy. In fact, you can set it from the keyboard of a PC or Mac to appear to be a quill pen slowly running out of ink and then redipped. You can also set the degree of precision so that the "handwriting" appears to be of a careful scholar or of a sloppy scribe.

Since the font contains elements of my patented technology used in other applications, I have not allowed it to be in circulation (since fonts are vulnerable to cyber-plunder) but have sold thousands of copies of sonnets and such using it to convey the spirit of the middle ages. The scholar's version of the font includes letterforms no longer in modern use. I have morphed the old letterforms to be approximations of modern English letterforms... so one does not have to be a scholar to easily read the "modern" version of Chaucer.

This year at the Northern California faire I used the Chaucer font on large posters for the Enchanted Garland booth. Interestingly, no one suspected that the signs were computer generated rather than hand caligraphy. Wow, that's almost like having Dr. Bose build a manly man's speaker system! (Sorry cluless for not including you... but rumor has it you still have a Bose on your nightstand!) -H.E.

As mentioned in my above post, Boa, I experimented with putting horns on with a modified Klipsch logo as the helmet part. I may still do something like that. But since the Vikings never used steel helmets with horns (despite their use in Hollywood and comic books).

So, maybe I'll take a photo of a couple of horn tweeters attached to a metal helmet that's already on my head. I have access to such helmets at the Renaissance Faire. I also know a guy at the faire who has a helmet with horns sticking out wider than his shoulders... but at only 40 pixels wide, the avatar format is not big enough to handle those horns. -HornED

PS: A special note to our favorite "Builder"... yes, indeed, oak LaScalas can be fun... particularly when you work in a strong and interesting grain pattern in matched veneers. I find that such grain patterns tend to be real eye candy for all us hardwood lovers. I look forward to seeing the photos. -H.E.

Right on, Justin... although I think the size must be proportional to the 40x44 pixel base that Klipsch is using to avoid distortion. I picked up a Halloween Viking helmet that was missing its horns for a buck today. Now I am going to add a couple of Klipsch Horn Tweeters to the sides, put it on my head and snap a photo. Horn tweeters on a Viking helmet are no less authentic than cow horns.

Sorry NFL Vikings fans, but real Vikings didn't wear any kind of horns on their helmets... but they were closer to being purple people eaters. Vikings liked to dine with captured royalty. -HornED

Hmmm, Avman, I thought that the suggestion of "togetherness" was more in the Viking "tradition"... especially since I was recently told by my ophthalmologist that I have a condition that suggests a Viking ancestor shook my family tree... but my research bogged down in the 1500's. In honor of great mongrel mania of prehistoric humanity from which we have all sprung, I grab a brew and watch the NFL version of Viking history.

On a more serious note, keep your hatches battened 'cause that storm threatens to make the Big Easy hard. I was there when the big hurricane slammed into Ponchatrain thirty-some years ago. Driving East from New Orleans was a study in surrealism. Houses gone but plumbing trees remaining... big, I mean BIG, boats high and dry a long way from the beach... and house high stacks of assorted pieces-parts of peoples lives.

It is a little scary when I look at your current avatar to find that you are but a shadow of your former self. 4.gif I'm sure that a whole lot of Forum Folk are with you and your neighbors in keeping those Klipsch Home Theaters high and dry. Let us know how it goes... or if it stays! -HornED

Well, the new "HornEd" Avatar is done as promised. Those are genuine Klipsch horn tweeters stuck to the Viking Helmet.

Now, if I only could find the way to add my sig when talking to a newbie... and not all the time... life would be better! -HornED

PS: And better yet if I could drop in photos with the text.

ED good to see you back on the BB again!

You can still insert photos into the text...first choose Rich Text format and then type in the appropriate html and url of the photo:

moondog1as.jpg

Hope this still works!!

(BTW this is at least my 4th or 5th editing of this post...)

5th edit..I just noticed there is an edit count at the bottom of the post now!

6th edit if you click on the "revisions" button you can see the original text before it was edited...not sure if that is good or not...

hey ed!!thanks for the reply. i watched w/interest the 'anyone heard from hornEd' post and was glad to hear from you!! the new 'helmet' is way cool for your avatar-looks like you had fun w/that one!

all o.k. here-actually didn't lose power, although i saw power line go up in flame about 3:30 this a.m. backyard next street over neighbor had tree fall across street-to-home power line. got a brief surge a few seconds later, but all o.k. here!

amazed by current projector technology;been spending some time on avsforum doing research on n.e.c. LT150z pj,we got a great deal on about 10 of the 'integra'-labeled versions of this impressive dlp-based pj.

about to invest about $500 on a program/kit for the automated set-up of ALL parameters of this pj's picture settings. basically a sensor,program,and custom cable to hook up a p.c. to this pj which generates via the pc a series of test patterns on some 'sensor' device making the video output of this pj basically by-the-book PERFECT!!

i've seen projector picture quality that would rival ANY tv/display in our store!

anyone interested in a well-kept used lcd pj?

avman.