La Scala + Academy In The House

ka7niq

8 minutes ago, ka7niq said:

I haven't upgraded my crossover caps yet, but to my ears, the La Scala's cry out for TUBES.

Although they sound MUCH better with the QSC PLX 1602 then the Pioneer Elite VSX 94

Looks like the route I will be taking now sooner now than later...Tubes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billybob said:

Nothing like having your cake and eating it too!

Heck, I am even not beyond using a solid state receiver driving a TUBE Amplifier, but I would really prefer to keep the path to the Scala's as Tube as possible.

I will soon have a Pioneer receiver here, with the D3 DIGITAL Amplifier :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ka7niq said:

Heck, I am even not beyond using a solid state receiver driving a TUBE Amplifier, but I would really prefer to keep the path to the Scala's as Tube as possible.

First thing, I will be interested in hearing the H/K and yes, main in and preouts. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ka7niq said:

My NEC made integrated SS 45 per channel will be in line next after H/K to try.  Will be following your results with the Pioneer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billybob said:

My NEC made integrated SS 45 per channel will be in line next after H/K to try.  Will be following your results with the Pioneer.

I went and got my Apogee 800 B Amp out of the back room, and inserted it, in place of the QSC PLX 1602

As much better as the QSC PLX 1602 is compared to my Pioneer Elite VSX 94, the Apogee 800 B is that much better then the QSC.

It looks like this one, only a little larger.  It was not quite as good sounding on my old Dunlavy SC IV speakers as the QSC PLX 1602, plus it has a noisy fan, so I kind of put it away. Glad I kept it now, it really sounds nice on the La Scala's, nearly grain free, and more Bass then QSC! s-l1000.jpg

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, ka7niq said:

I went and got my Apogee 800 B Amp out of the back room, and inserted it, in place of the QSC PLX 1602

As much better as the QSC PLX 1602 is compared to my Pioneer Elite VSX 94, the Apogee 800 B is that much better then the QSC.

It looks like this one, only a little larger.  It was not quite as good sounding on my old Dunlavy SC IV speakers as the QSC PLX 1602, plus it has a noisy fan, so I kind of put it away. Glad I kept it now, it really sounds nice on the La Scala's, nearly grain free, and more Bass then QSC! s-l1000.jpg

Worth the looking at again. Have read the name but, must be a keeper. Looks quality gear. Now I am going to have to find another amp. Can only guess what may do to woofer. Cool and even larger.  Alright 

Just now, billybob said:

Worth the looking at again. Have read the name but, must be a keeper. Looks quality gear. Now I am going to have to find another amp. Can only guess what may do to woofer. Cool and even larger.  Alright 

These older Apogee amplifiers are not at all expensive, not are the QSC PLX series.

The Apogee SA 800 B weighs 60 lbs, and because it is fan cooled, the money was spent on circuit boards with huge copper traces, and a monster transformer, vs heat sinks.

I really did not want to go in this direction (monster amps) with my new to me La Scala's, but they are all that I have at the moment.

I do have a small Hafler Trans Nova amp, and also a Big Hafler Pro amp that is all Mos Fet, but one amp hums, and one has a scratchy noise in 1 channel.

All I have proved so far is, the Apogee SA 800 B amp sounds the best, using the Pioneer VSX 94 THX as a pre amp. With a different pre amp, the QSC PLX 1602 may very well beat the big Apogee ?

Lol, No I like  idea of not culling an amp before it is run through. If not hurting anything, well why not.

The Hafler have heard of. Had a Carver 500 amp that was a nice quiet delivery of Omph when I needed it.

Or thought I did. Fans can be a distraction. Got a Nak500 avr, from forum. Decent. Going to check them all out.

Enjoying the ideas. Thanks

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billybob said:

Lol, No I like  idea of not culling an amp before it is run through. If not hurting anything, well why not.

The Hafler have heard of. Had a Carver 500 amp that was a nice quiet delivery of Omph when I needed it.

Or thought I did. Fans can be a distraction. Got a Nak500 avr, from forum. Decent. Going to check them all out.

Enjoying the ideas. Thanks

There seem to be quite a few of those Adcom surround processors and 3 ch amps to be had, cheap! 

I just found one local  here. It is only Dolby Pro Logic, but who really gives a dam. ?

If I got one of these, then I need a remote controlled Tube Integrated, with a subwoofer output, but since my Sub has an amp and crossover, I may be able to figure something out ? 

I really sort of need  some way to alter channel balance, since I am not exactly centered between my La Scala's

I called the dude who has the Harman Kardon for sale, he was busy today, and I am busy tomorrow :( 

1. Adcom GSP 560 Surround Sound 3 Channel Amplifier with Remote Control - $90   

Lol, Hope you get it nevertheless..  Adcom  equp. if right, would be fun to have for purposes, like control. Remotes a must.

Seating position sounds a challenge. Nothing like the sweet spot. If just casually music or cinema, can always create a sweet spot., when needed.

Sounds like potentially convenient. :emotion-21:

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, billybob said:

file:///C:/Users/Nancy/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/Downloads/LSIIbySam.pdf

Just an FYI...that is a file that is on your computer.  Don't think we can access that directly.  You will need to attach it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Lol, Hope you get it nevertheless..  Adcom  equp. if right, would be fun to have for purposes, like control. Remotes a must.

Seating position sounds a challenge. Nothing like the sweet spot. If just casually music or cinema, can always create a sweet spot., when needed.

Sounds like potentially convenient. :emotion-21:

Well, I have my ONKYO TX NR 809 coming back from ONKYO, and then my Son is giving me his Pioneer Elite receiver, with the D3 Digital amp, and of course, the Harman Kardon AVR , so  I will have plenty of Toys to throw at the La Scala's. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/2/2017 at 8:29 PM, ka7niq said:

Well, I have my ONKYO TX NR 809 coming back from ONKYO, and then my Son is giving me his Pioneer Elite receiver, with the D3 Digital amp, and of course, the Harman Kardon AVR , so  I will have plenty of Toys to throw at the La Scala's. 

Finally, the guy selling the Harman Kardon AVR 247 will allow me to pick it up tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

I use my speakers with a Pioneer Elite avr/Acurus amp  and also run them off a tube amp for music.  The best of both worlds.   Use the avr/amp for HT and music or use the tube amp for music.  Just get a Niles DSP switcher.

https://www.amazon.com/Table-Top-Dual-Source-Selector/dp/B00G63F3DO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512431060&sr=8-1&keywords=niles+dps-1

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

I use my speakers with a Pioneer Elite avr and also run them off a tube amp for music.  The best of both worlds.  Just get a Niles DSP switcher.

https://www.amazon.com/Table-Top-Dual-Source-Selector/dp/B00G63F3DO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512431060&sr=8-1&keywords=niles+dps-1

Cool ! 

I am less then impressed with the Pioneer Elite amp in my VSX 94 THX. It is called their "Direct Energy" amp. It is NOT their digital amp. The had an ICE digital Amp, then went to the direct energy series, and then finally to their Own Digital amp, called the D3 amp. Tell me more about this Niles DSP switcher :) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

The Pioneer may just need some tweaking.  I personal think using some of the DSP, room correction and other things will take it to a new level.  If you need some help with the avr, there are enough guys on the forum to help.:D

TYVM ! 

I have run the MCACC, but only once, maybe I need to run it again ?

My beloved ONKYO TX NR 809 took a crap, it has Audyssey.

So far, I think Audyssey sounds a little better than Pioneer's MCACC, mainly because it gives you 2 curves, vs MCACC's one.

I am very very interested in HOW that Niles switcher works

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

The Pioneer may just need some tweaking.  I personal think using some of the DSP, room correction and other things will take it to a new level.  If you need some help with the avr, there are enough guys on the forum to help.:D

Well, I went and ran the MCACC again, placing the tri pod on my couch at the exact height of my ears, and this time, I think it worked! 

It has changed the sound of the La Scala's, and I must listen for awhile to compare, see how I like it.

But, one thing is FOR SURE - That full band phase control is no joke! 

It makes the speakers image like crazy.

Impressive ! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

Actually, MCACC will do Front align, symmetry and all speakers adj. under the auto MCACC in the menu.  I also change the timing of the calibration from 50-70 ms to 30-50 ms for my room.  This is under manual MCACC, EQ pro, then Adv. EQ.

My last major pair of Speakers were the 6 ft tall Dunlavy SC IV's

I had a Pioneer Elite with digital D3 amp, the same kind my Son is giving back to me.

LOL, because the Dunlavy SC IV's are "perfect", and are known to pass a square wave, I never ran the MCACC

I came across an ONKYO TX NR 809 that sounded better on the Dunlavy's, so I dumped the Pioneer.

Then, my Onkyo crapped out, and in desperation, I bought this Pioneer Elite VSX 94 locally.

I am much more familiar with Audyssey than the MCACC

I was out there listening the past hour, I like it, especially the imaging! I thought that Full Band Phase Control was a bunch of BS, but it is not.  I still aint crazy about the sound of the Pioneer AMP. Just for kicks, I unhooked the Apogee SA 800 B amp, ran the La Scala's receiver direct. The Apogee amp sounded better.

I watched a little bit of Monday Night Football, and MCACC did a good job. I am only running a Klipsch Academy Center, and it is having a hard time keeping up with my La Scala's, LOL

The levels are all the same for the 3 front channels. However, when the right and left La Scala's start to get loud, it nearly drowns out the Academy Center :( 

• Like 1