R12SW with Heresies?

thebes

I'm not really into home theater but I do have a setup using a set of Heresy 1's, a KG center and two KG 1.5 bookshelves mounted in the rear  all being run through a decade old Denon receiver.

Klipsch has been offering this sub for $225 with free ground so I was thinking of getting it just to add a little oomph to the low end. Prefer to spend major money elsewhere in my hobby and will need a new LOMC cart for my main 2 channel pretty soon.  Any advice?

You definitely need a POWERED subwoofer if you're using the system for movies. Explosions and similar sound effects hang out in the sub-30Hz range. Ideally, you'd buy a sub that ventures into the 25Hz range, but that means more money or a different brand subwoofer. At the $225 price, the Klipsch sub is definitely attractive.

I added a passive, kg subwoofer to my Heresy's, and it only goes down to 38Hz. That roughly 1/2 octave is EVERYTHING and made me think the Heresy's themselves had magically improved their low end output by themselves!