Horns In Room Corners

ka7niq

I have a pair of LaScala's

My listening position places me closer to the left corner speaker then the right corner speaker.

Is it best to fire the horns right at me, or is it better to fire the horns down the longest dimensions of the room, like at an imaginary spot in front of me ?

Ultimately, it boils down to what sounds best to you.  I've been experimenting a lot lately with toe-in, distance from side walls, back walls, etc.  I've read, noticed, that a speaker aimed directly at you will yield a bump in the high frequencies enough to make the sound too bright.  Pushing the mains back towards the wall behind them may yield more bass, but can sound punchy.  I've also set the toe-in to just in front of my listening position and felt like I lost some staging and perceived SPL. 

But this is in my room and with my mains.  I keep gravitating back towards my mains aimed just slightly to the sides of my listening position, head.  So, the direct axis line from the speakers is just to the left, and right, of my head.  As far as being more towards left or right, I might play with the balance a bit to drop the left side a hair, and boost the right side slightly, to see if there's any improvement in imaging.

So, my suggestion is to try multiple placements, adjustments, until it sounds just right to you.  Sometimes, a movement of half-an-inch can yield significant improvement.  I used, am using, a tape measure to ensure equality with my main placement, and write down the measurements and perceived results.  Experiment and have fun doing so.  Just don't have too many adult beverages while experimenting, it can skew the results.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ACV92 said:

Ultimately, it boils down to what sounds best to you.  I've been experimenting a lot lately with toe-in, distance from side walls, back walls, etc.  I've read, noticed, that a speaker aimed directly at you will yield a bump in the high frequencies enough to make the sound too bright.  Pushing the mains back towards the wall behind them may yield more bass, but can sound punchy.  I've also set the toe-in to just in front of my listening position and felt like I lost some staging and perceived SPL. 

But this is in my room and with my mains.  I keep gravitating back towards my mains aimed just slightly to the sides of my listening position, head.  So, the direct axis line from the speakers is just to the left, and right, of my head.  As far as being more towards left or right, I might play with the balance a bit to drop the left side a hair, and boost the right side slightly, to see if there's any improvement in imaging.

So, my suggestion is to try multiple placements, adjustments, until it sounds just right to you.  Sometimes, a movement of half-an-inch can yield significant improvement.  I used, am using, a tape measure to ensure equality with my main placement, and write down the measurements and perceived results.  Experiment and have fun doing so.  Just don't have too many adult beverages while experimenting, it can skew the results.  

This is what has sounded best to me too, but I want to give the corners one more try, because I am trying not to use my Subwoofer

If you are in the proximity of the corners (1 or 2 foot), you will still receive some bass reinforcement.  If you don't aim them directly at you, that bass reinforcement will seem to be greater as the highs won't be beaming at your ears and likely a touch smoother.  Play with the toe in and toe out.  It will affect the balance and the imaging.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pzannucci said:

If you are in the proximity of the corners (1 or 2 foot), you will still receive some bass reinforcement.  If you don't aim them directly at you, that bass reinforcement will seem to be greater as the highs won't be beaming at your ears and likely a touch smoother.  Play with the toe in and toe out.  It will affect the balance and the imaging.

If I had Klipschorns instead of LaScala's, the speakers would be firing in front of me, if they were flush in the corners. 

There is an article somewhere around here that PWK wrote on this subject. You cross the speakers a few feet in front of you and it equals out the off axis listening position.

Basically if you are off to the left, the left speaker is closer but pointing away from you while the right speaker is further but pointing towards you. This does work. I did find that it cut down on the soundstage in my case though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vondy said:

There is an article somewhere around here that PWK wrote on this subject. You cross the speakers a few feet in front of you and it equals out the off axis listening position.

Basically if you are off to the left, the left speaker is closer but pointing away from you while the right speaker is further but pointing towards you. This does work. I did find that it cut down on the soundstage in my case though.

If you or anyone else could point me toward that crossed horns article by PWK, I would greatly appreciate it

14 hours ago, ACV92 said:

Ultimately, it boils down to what sounds best to you.  I've been experimenting a lot lately with toe-in, distance from side walls, back walls, etc.

Have you emptied the front wall of acoustically reflective objects within 2 metres/yards of the corner-located loudspeakers?  Most people that seem to have trouble with toe-in statistically have a lot of "stuff" on the front wall.  Move all that stuff away from the loudspeakers, and then redo your toe-in experiments.  I find that the answers change (rather dramatically) when this little detail is paid attention to.  I also find that absorption on the front wall and adjacent side walls (out to about half a metre)--if those walls aren't completely smooth--will also cure a host of ills in terms of imaging and experimenting with toe-in angles.

See:

Chris

1 hour ago, vondy said:

I believe this is it. It talks about toeing in at 45 which depending on the room may or may not be in front of you. I seem to remember seeing something more about toeing in front of you. Basic idea is "Fig. 3".

Dope_750801_v15n2.pdf

OK, how do you download this ?

Just now, Chris A said:

Thanks Chris ! I am reading the discussion by Roy Delgado, and it is quite interesting. 

I moved my LaScala's into the corners a few hours ago, basically firing in front of me, and they sound pretty good.

Bass is greatly increased, and imaging is pretty good too.

• Like 2