ALK choice of values for low pass inductors

Alexander

Having read in another thread how ALK removes the LF VC inductance value from the low pass coil value and that it is not the industry norm. So should we consider "putting it back" into the low pass coil value if using one of his designs? In my case the forte II has a 2.0 mH listed and one would add back the .66mH so say replace the 2.0mH with say a 2.7mH?

4 hours ago, Alexander said:

Having read in another thread how ALK removes the LF VC inductance value from the low pass coil value and that it is not the industry norm.

I stated in the other thread that Al considered the VC inductance of woofer as being part of the network -- apparently that's not true. I found the original thread where he discusses this.

It is true that backing out the VC inductance from the low pass coil is not done by anyone else. The problem is that the inductance changes based on the position of VC, as well as the current being applied -- the inductance in modulated by the input signal.

I've built many versions of the Universal, and the lower coil value sounded "off" to me -- as if I was losing some upper midrange through the bass bin.

I suggest you try it both ways and see what you think.