8 ohm vs 4 ohm

TFR1

I've looked at almost all of the older Klipsch crossover schematics from speakers with differing woofer impedances form the Chorus 4 ohm drivers to the k-33 with 6 ohm driver, KP cabinets with 8 ohm woofers and Heresy's with 11 ohm woofers. Inductor ratings are anywhere from 2mh-4mh in seemingly random order and most just use a common 2.5mh. 

Klipsch pro subs, the KI-215 is rated at 8ohms with two woofers, I just purchased two of these when I cracked them open they have two 8ohm woofers wired in parallel which should work out to be 4ohms? There is no passive network in these. I noticed the KI-115 with a single 4ohm k-48 woofer is listed at 8 ohms as well? Where do they come up with these ratings? 

1 hour ago, TFR1 said:

Just a little help needed  by this novice.

Does the ohm rating of a speaker effect its performance characteristics?

Will it change my crossover requirements?

Speakers are K-42's

The impedance most definitely will affect your crossover design.  By itself, it will not affect a driver's performance.  As stated above a lower impedance driver will draw more current at the same voltage.  Since P=I*V, it will draw more power from the amp and produce more db at that voltage.  You can use that to help match outputs from different drivers. 

38 minutes ago, TFR1 said:

@ClaudeJ1

So are you saying that I can not use K-42 woofers on my Super Heresy project and expect them to perform like jimjimbos?

Jerry

No, because the original K-22 is an 11 ohm woofer. Just remember that ALL drivers have "rounded off" numbers for impedance, which varies greatly with frequency.

17 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I've looked at almost all of the older Klipsch crossover schematics from speakers with differing woofer impedances form the Chorus 4 ohm drivers to the k-33 with 6 ohm driver, KP cabinets with 8 ohm woofers and Heresy's with 11 ohm woofers. Inductor ratings are anywhere from 2mh-4mh in seemingly random order and most just use a common 2.5mh. 

I concur with these findings, especially the 11 ohm characteristic of the older K-22's and their variations from different suppliers under the same "K-22" label.