Eico ST70 vs. Scott 222C

Lonelobo

Thanks to Craig, I'm closing in on finishing up the restore of my $5 Scott 222C. Today I found a pristine Eico ST-70 for $40. I know, I know...I'm slipping cause I never pay that much. Anyway, my intuition is that the Eico is fully functional because I had to take it out of a working(according to the woman at the estate sale) stereo system. So I'm looking for opinions as to which to use. I have a $20 pair of Cornwalls that are nearing restoration completion and a set of $175 Heresy's in good shape. What to do, what to do? Interesting thing about the Heresy's is that the serial numbers are not sequential, one has the old logo plate and a flat black back while the other has the newer logo plate and the back is painted gloss brown. Dave seems to think that the previous owner used the older speaker on a mono system and bought the 2nd speaker when he upgraded to stereo. They came out of an estate sale too, so it seems plausible. One feature of the ST-70 seems to be an adjustable center channel. The Scott center channel is not adjustable, so I had originally planned on sending it to my Dynaco SCA 35. So I'm a bit confused as to my best options. And I know how hard it is to pull opinions out of this group...he he he....

OK, I'm finding it hard to believe nobody knows anything about these amps. That Eico is one of the coolest setups I've seen. Every possibility of L-R, R-L , R+L, etc., speaker phase reversal, powered center channel. You name it.

It looks nothing like the Dynaco, yet bears a designator in common.

Come'on guys, spill it. You know you want to...

Dave

I think everybody's just so p i s s e d that he gets such great deals :)

I actually was considering an ST-40 a few weeks ago for "what the hell" entertainment. After checking around, the word was that it was a nice sounding amp, if perhaps not as pretty as a cleaned up HF-81 or a Scott. For $40, it's got to be a great deal, but it will have a low WAF, i.e., for those of us with high maintainence wives, it's not going to fly in the living room.

Well on looks alone the Scott would win out for sure !! I personally think the EICO ST-70 is the worst looking amp on earth next to my heathkit AA-151 which looks just like the dashboard of a 57 chevy LOL !!

As far as the center channel out on the Scott it adjusts with the volume pot along with the main speakers. Scott 299C and D and LK-72 A and B 's do the same as the ST-70 and have a adjustable center channel out that is also controlled by the main volume pot I'm sure the ST-70 is controlled by both also.

As far as sound the St-70 I believe uses 7591 tubes for outputs and I myself don't care for the sound that tube makes compared to the 7189/EL84 but you never know you may like it. Danocaster had both the ST-70 and the Scott 299 he choose the 299 as the better sounding amp. I personally think the 222C is a better amp than the 299 if your a CD only listener I find the phono section weak on 222C/LK-48s compared to 299s. So this is why I'm a 299 freak !!

I think your best bet is to listen to both and see what you prefer. It s your ears that have to live with the choice 1.gif . After you decide you can send me whatever one you don't like 9.gif

Craig

Chris: So how the hell do you think I feel? I'm the one he comes running to with this great stuff telling me how he dug it out of chicken s*** or whatever. OTOH, I've got a pair of his Heresies and a center Cornie at no extra charge whilst he tries to figure all this out.

Craig: "...EICO ST-70 is the worst looking amp..." This is somehow relavent except to high maintenance wives (which he ain't got)? Personally, I loved the look of the thing, but pretty or ugly to the eyes has nothing to do with sonics. You should see the Cornie in my center the hound dog DIDN'T pee on. It's hardly pretty, but it sounds as good as a hand rubbed Rosewood, and certainly smells better than the other one. :-> (Though Ron says Fabreze and other secret tr*****nts seem to have greatly reduced the smellivision effect of the other).

Generally, I close my eyes when the music gets good...

Dave

I will put this ugly child on the Variac this weekend and see if I can start a fire. Tomorrow I'm off to the, and I Quote, "Audiophile Estate Sale". My guess is massive quantities of beanie babies and Rat Shack Headphones. Only time will tell. If anyone is looking for something in particular, I can keep an eye out for you. If you think I get deals on audio stuff (which I know almost nothing about) you should see my garage (stuffed with so many vintage woodworking tools I can't walk in it). I just unloaded a nice Craftsman 10" table saw that set me back $50. Not a great saw, but it's an old one made when they were MUCH better than today. Did I mention I found a Atwater Kent E Series speaker last week for $35? Unemployment does have it's advantages. My current goal is a pair of corner horns for under $100 and a Millers Falls #7 bench plane for under $10.

I think Craig's idea about the listening test will end up being the final test for the amps. But right now, tube amps are like chocolate to me...it's all good and I don't turn any down. On the other hand, can you have too many tube amps? Or Klipsch speakers? I am currently researching this. Previously, I have confirmed that you can never have too many woodworking tools...and that is an undisputable fact.

Lonelobo,

You have that Right 3.gif There is no way you can have to many Tube amps. I have like 10 here and even the ugly one I can't let go. Heck that's not even counting the Consoles I picked up this summer. My thought was I would pirate the tubes and part and junk them but the Damn things all work and I just can't wreck them 1.gif

So now the wife say's anymore tube amps and she's leaving me !! So I start working on other peoples LOL !! Just play with everyone else's toys and make a couple dollars to boot. Also I can sneak a thing or two in here that way and she can't tell !!

Craig

Lonelobo, where do you live that you find such treasures for so little??? I just paid $149 for 222D! And I was happy to get it!! I have gotten up early the past few Saturdays to go to garage sales, only to find junk, but not electronic junk. Well, I did find some nice night stands for the bedroon, so it wasn't a total loss...

Craig: I hear you, man. Some of us just like ugly ducklings. Ron (LoneLobo) says that really keeps prices down. Seems I recall there as a pair of pristine Sansui speakers with over a hundred bucks on them at the same sale. EEEEyuch.

As a (quite small) child of the 50's, I really go for that ol' styling, such as it was.

Dave

I have to admit, I think the face plate is pretty ugly as well. Dave, you are the first to admire the beast! Regardless, it's a great amp that I have heard nothing negative about. As always, to hear it at its best, it needs to be playing at its best, which we all know takes some attention more often than not. There are a number of mods one can do to this amp that are sourced on the net.

One thing, if you dont like that front plate, you can remove it and make a sub with bypassed switches and controls you dont want. IT could be of all sorts of materials with your imagination and tools etc being the only holding factor. Even an exotic wood front plate could be made, then leaving the top open or painting and using the funky close mesh top cover. I think it would be a neat project.

Hello Friends !!

Well..I've had both a 299 and an ST-70 and they BOTH are cool. The phono section in the 299 is better so I chose that but ,in a way, the ST-70 is "ballsier". I think the 7591 tubes can be really nice and this eico had a set of older good ones in it and just bone stock sounded pretty great... but the phono wasnt as detailed so I chose the 299.. Both are great and you "NEED" both I think- at least keep telling yourself that !!

Dave, was just reviewing your system contents and saw the Khorns and Cornwall center, Heresy surrounds. A lot like my HT setup only I've got a Belle center.

Did you see that single OLD CW II for sale in Dallas? It's kind of beat up but I'm not sure anybody's biting. Can't believe it. I'm almost sick enough to place an order for it and tool one of my Austin buddies to go get it.

Bottom line though is that the CW's sound best through good amplification. SET-type amplication. My Denon sounds pretty good but it's certainly not feeding my Heritages what they REALLY need.

When in God's name will they come out with a good 5-channel tube amp?

Didn't see the Cornie. How much?

I'm wanting a La Scala due to my passive ambience system that feeds both the rears and the center. I think the La Scala's extra few db of sensitivity would help match the 'horns better than the Cornie.

Dave

Mallet,

Its at the bottom of his post in a link. This new forum really sucks !! We lost so many easy to use options its hard to believe they could call it a upgraded forum. The only advantage here is it operates quicker. I can see why it has no meat and potatoes to it !!!!!!!!!!

Craig14.gif