EV TL-770

Dave A

Well as the subtopic heading says subwoofers of all flavors so I ask. I want a good subwoofer and I have been offered some EV TL-770's. The specs are pretty good and seem to be quite close to Klipsch 884's. Does anyone have knowledge of these preferably you have heard them? How about the quality in general with EV?

36 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Well as the subtopic heading says subwoofers of all flavors so I ask. I want a good subwoofer and I have been offered some EV TL-770's. The specs are pretty good and seem to be quite close to Klipsch 884's. Does anyone have knowledge of these preferably you have heard them? How about the quality in general with EV?

Will you use these for music or HT?

This is what puzzles me about this kind of literature. It also says " High acoustic output to below 20 Hz" and to me that means far lower than 40HZ and still at more than adequate volume levels and " High output ability in the 20- to 40-Hz range is also ideal for very-low-frequency synthesized effects, down-tuned bass guitars or pipe organ" which is exactly what I want.

Would you also consider the Klipsch 884 to be in the typical ported pro box category?

10 minutes ago, Dave A said:

High output ability in the 20- to 40-Hz range

It might have high output there but no where the output that it has above 40 Hz.  The frequency chart contradicts slightly with the marketing spin.  Room gain will help greatly there.

The 884 is only down 3dB at 27 hz.  It should sound the same buy go lower with more linearity with maybe less output.  In a living room it should have more than enough output so that's really a non issue.