"New" era Heresy speakers compared to original version ???

decooney

Does the latest version of the Klipsch Heresy speaker sound (better or any) different than the original version?  How so?

I'm looking for a smooth and warmer tone sound, and I've not yet heard the new version Heresy on a really good SET/Triode tube amp before. I'd like to find a good match for my current custom built 10w single-ended-triode amp, with a smaller speaker about the size of the Hersey. I'd love to try a set of the new Heresy speakers, but if they sound like the originals, I'm not a fan of a "PA" type sound at all.  I tried a set of the 2016 Klipsch RP-160M bookshelf monitors and recently re-sold them, nice but not the right match.  A rep told me to try the brand new Heresy speakers instead. 

I'm curious if anyone here has liked the new Hersey version a lot more, or can explain how it sounds different than the original version. I'm afraid if I bought a set and they sounded to "PA" like, I'd fine myself wanting to mess with the crossovers, caps changing until I could get the tone smoothed out a bit more if they sound like the originals.  Any feedback from the folks here on the tube forum?

Edited by decooney

My older son has originals and I have the Heresy IIs. I am currently using some 2A3 amps with them and they are sounding very smooth. I believe that the newer model (H III), is even better.

The original, since they used the same mid driver as the Khorn, La Scala, Belle, to me had an overpowering midrange. It is easy to make a small change in teh crossover to even it out, but a lot of folks don't want to bother.

If I were flush with cash, I would love to get a set of the H IIIs.

Bruce

On 5/1/2018 at 8:57 AM, decooney said:

Does the latest version of the Klipsch Heresy speaker sound (better or any) different than the original version?  How so?

I'm looking for a smooth and warmer tone sound, and I've not yet heard the new version Heresy on a really good SET/Triode tube amp before. I'd like to find a good match for my current custom built 10w single-ended-triode amp, with a smaller speaker about the size of the Hersey. I'd love to try a set of the new Heresy speakers, but if they sound like the originals, I'm not a fan of a "PA" type sound at all.  I tried a set of the 2016 Klipsch RP-160M bookshelf monitors and recently re-sold them, nice but not the right match.  A rep told me to try the brand new Heresy speakers instead. 

I'm curious if anyone here has liked the new Hersey version a lot more, or can explain how it sounds different than the original version. I'm afraid if I bought a set and they sounded to "PA" like, I'd fine myself wanting to mess with the crossovers, caps changing until I could get the tone smoothed out a bit more if they sound like the originals.  Any feedback from the folks here on the tube forum?

If you can come up with the extra cash, you might want to look into the new Forte III speakers. They are known for being very balanced and have a state of the art mid-range horn. With them being Roy's design, they will most likely hold their value very well.