Please help ID oddball Klipsch speakers

dwatkins5

Hi,

Yesterday I purchased at a thrift store a pair of Klipsch speakers which I cannot identify.

Cabinet dimensions are 17" (width, excluding decorative front molding) X 18 1/4" (length) X 24" height (excluding runners). The grill cloth is old, and is permanently attached to the front baffle, with the edges of the grill cloth covered by decorative molding on the outside of the baffle. The cabinets themselves have no badges, labels or other identifying marks inside or out. The drivers are K-77 (tweeter), K-55-V (midrange) and K-22 (woofer). The crossovers are mounted on the left inside vertical walls as you look into the back. There are narrow horizontal ports under the woofers. The cabinets are mounted on runners. The cabinets appear to be made of both plywood and composition board.

It has been suggested to me that these are Cornwall decorator series CDBR, but they appear to me to be closer to Heresy size than Cornwall size. I can lift them with (relative) ease. Was there ever a "small" Cornwall? Or were there ever Heresy's with ports?

Another possibility is that the cabinets are homebrew, but if so, they are awfully well made for amateur work, and have a Klipsch "look and feel" to them.

Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

Hi, Jim,

I see you're in Tempe. I am in Phoenix.

Yes, I considered that the cabinets were home brew. They appear awfully well-made for amateur work, though - they are true furniture quality. Also, they have the Klipsch "look and feel." However, it's possible that a very talented woodworker cum audiophile built them.

I need to start looking around in Reno.

It seems there is so much new money in Reno (read: "The Great Gatsby"), people only buy new audio stuff for 100-150% of retail price. That means I might be able to hunt down some good stuff!

Imagine some dusty old tube gear that hasn't been used in 20 years... DREAM...

Great buy! Just the parts are worth $300 to $400.

First some questions for my edjumacation...

What is the model of the squawker horn, K1000? Is the transformer looking thing on the crossover an autotransformer (several terminals) or an inductor (two terminals)? Does it have a part number on it like T2A or the like?

Now some facts, speculation and opinion...

Your crossover frequencies are 1000 Hz and 5000 Hz.

The drivers and crossover appear to date from the very late 50's to the early 60's. Based on Klipsch literature I could locate, Klipsch was still using University squawker drivers and tweeters at least into 1957. The K-55-V from Atlas and the K-77 from ElectroVoice came later, exactly when the change was made I am not sure. The woofer shown is an ElectroVoice SP12B in the brown hammertone finish and fits the time frame. I have a pair of mid 60's H700 Heresys with SP12Bs, but with the later basket design and grey finish. The medallions on the squawker driver and tweeter are the foil ones, also consistent with the time frame.

Don't know what the speakers are. I don't recall a design like this offered by Klipsch. And the cabinet does not appear to be made by Klipsch. It uses particle board for some panels for one thing. It does look professionally made to me. Perhaps these are part of the Rebel series of speakers built by G and H Wood Products Company under license using Klipsch designs and components. Perhaps someone bought the cabinets and populated them with Klipsch parts. Several companies offered finished cabinets and kits in the time frame. And Klipsch sold component sets that you could put in your own cabinet. Perhaps someone stipped a late Model H Heresy or a Shorthorn 12. I believe the components are appropriate for either.

FWIW I don't think there was an industrial or professional model Heresys at the time these were built. For a long time, Heresys for industrial or professional use, like theaters, were just decorator Heresys built of 1/2" fir plywood with black or no finish. My 1966 and 1972 Heresys are like this.

I have added a picture of the X-over in hopes that it will help.

The transformer looking thing appears to have four wires attached. The part has a number - 26459 1386118 - on it, but I am guessing that this may be a serial rather than a part #.

The crossover unit itself is identified as a Klipsch "balancing network," and the letters WR are stamped in the metal identification plate.

post-10515-13819245499188_thumb.jpg

It was ME who told you on the audio asylum(from your original BRIEF description of a ported speaker) they were probably CDBR Cornwalls. Seeing the pics, they obviously are NOT Cornwalls. It appears that some decent cabinetmaker, got the guts out of an early "H" model and built some ported cabinets for them. They are NOT rebels...Rebels had rear ports and were corner-shaped in the back, from the ones I have seen, anyway. If anybody has any pics of a rebel model without the corner shape to its back, I would like to see them...always willing to see something I haven't seen before! The parts MAY have been taken from one of the early Shorthorn Model T's. But the cabinet design and cosmetics show that it was NOT one of the models offered up by the factory...not unless PWK authorized a special build for somebody...or an employee built up something special without PWK's knowledge..or WITH PWK's blessing...I have see that kinda thing work BOTH ways when I worked there!! LOL!

Hi,

Yes, my Audio Asylum description was indeed brief. I appreciate your and everyone's efforts in helping me identify these babies. I'm glad to know that the Rebels had a "corner" configuration. - I had wondered about that. It is starting to look as though these are Klipsch guts in a non-standard cabinet of some kind, although I will keep on looking.