CRAP!!!!!!!!

Poleelop

Thinking about selling my AE-25 DJH SuperAmp.

KT88's were bought last April, and running NOS Amperex gold pin premium 7308's and RCA 6BQ5's.

Cough up $1400 and it's yours. Not a bad deal considering the 7308's ran me $210, and the KT88's were $170.

Dean..why are thinking of moving on? I'll have to think about that one for a while. I was prepared to spend that much at one time, but then I went and spent $650 on my Sony 555; now my amp budget has dropped considerably. I'd have to do some wife maneuvering....if ya know what I mean. In the end, I don't think it will be possible though. At least not immediately.

I was getting this amp from www.eaudionet.com for $787 with free shipping which would probably save me about $100 over divertech.

Wen Li (at eaudionet) e-mailed me last night and said that his distributer (which has to be divertech) claims the amp will be ready to ship on the 10th.....just two days from now. I think I'll just be patient for the time being and see how it goes.

Justin---I'm also in Houston; well, Pearland to be exact.....but I was born and raised in Houston.

Perhaps it was something of higher origin trying to step in. As I said, the same amount spent on a better used amp will bring better sonics and better build. And to be honest, quite possibly a better chance at staying out of a repair shop, ironically enough.

Buy Lynn is right; it's a nice amp that offers a good bit of the tube magic for not so many ducats. I just think there are better amps out there, and for not that much more money. Put yourself in the used $1000 range and you have a HOST of options that I would pick way before the ASL unit.

Dean,

Where did you get the 7308's?

I am looking for 4 Siemans 7308 gold pins.

I just bought a Heart 6000 CD player last week to replace my Rega. The Rega has been back into the shop twice. The dealer called yesterday and said it was ready.I will pick it up this afternoon, but it is now my bedroom player.

Thanks,

Danny

Thanks Justin; should I assume that was from Divertech?

I think they have a warped impression of the size of Texas. Although San Antonio is much closer to Houston than say....El Paso, I'd still much rather have it shipped to me than drive to San Antonio.

The guy at eaudio said they (his distributer, again, I'm assuming it's divertech because he told me they were in Canada) can't drop ship it to me because I have local dealers, but I sure as heck can't find them.....and I'm sorry (I'm a bit lazy), San Antonio is NOT local.

As you well know, I'm certainly not the resident tube expert, but I do read a hell of a lot.

My understanding is that the Siemens 7308 are all but gone and EXTREMELY rare. When they do pop up, they have date codes from the middle 70's to 80's, and I have been told to avoid those. I saw some at http://www.tubeman.com recently, but they did have the later date codes.

The Amperex 7308 PQ USN-CEP White Labels are almost equally as rare, and my understanding is they sound every bit as good as the Siemens, although a somewhat warmer signature.

You can get hand matched pairs with 1-2% tolerance from Brent Jesse at www.audiotubes.com

Don't you think that the Citation looks good? The question is more like do you want to get involved with upgrading it as suggested in the ad. I have heard only good things about this amp and it seems priced ok, not that much more than a clean Dynaco ST-70 on eBay. Could be that a few NOS tubes and some caps and you would have a classic. I wonder if anyone else hereabouts has one of these?

-c7s

Poleelop -- you are worse than me, and that's bad. You really need to slow down and relax. A slow, good choice is better than a fast, bad one.

I say STAY AWAY from that thing. This is your first tube amp and you are still learning. The seller said it's a good refurbish project, and advised someone with a background in these things buy it.

The fact that your ASL deal fell through might be an omen. Remember when you saw the NOrh? You began to question your purchase of the ASL. I'm not saying the ASL isn't a great choice for the money -- buy you were doubting.

Why don't you just buy the NOrh SE-9, or wait on the SE-18, and write a review for us? Michael Barnes has great reputation and following.

Don't let Mobile rattle you:) He's a perfectionist in the extreme. I'm confident you would be extremely pleased with either choice.

What are you using for a preamp? If you don't have one, then the ASL or the NOrh are two very good choices for you.

Sure, there are other choices, but you need to go to at least $1000, and would also probably need a preamp.

Have you been following the other thread entitled "recommend tube preamp & amp", right below this thread? Manuel Delaflor seems to be pretty thrilled the hybrid integrated he just got.

Take a deep breath, and sleep on it.

I dont think it's a matter of being a perfectionist really. It's more after going through all the trouble and getting an amp, listening to another that offers significantly better sound for around the same price.

I have heard variations of the ASL amp as it is made from a company in China and then rebranded ALL over the place under many different names. Yes, they have subtle differences but these are all basically the same amplifier. I have an upmarket, point-to-point wired version of this same amp made in the USA but with a choke in the power supply as well as some other differences. Yes, I like the amp but it sits in a closet behind all the other options I have had here. It has 4 12AU7 and 4 EL-34 and received a RAVE in Vacuum Tube Valley as the best EL-34 kit amp under $1000. Mine was factory wired - Stock, it sounded very nice but just did not have the resolution and blackness of background of others. Compared directly with a Superamp, it was not as refined but had more guts as it were.

Personally, I am not a big fan of the build quality of ASL products. I had their headphone amp here and there were some build issues. On top of that, I have have the same opinion from a very close source that was going to become a dealer. This after sampling the Orchid, EL-34 integrated, and Tulip. He opted not to deal the ASL line. This does not mean that all ASL amps are bad; just that there are questions, perhaps.

As for the Margules integrated, it might be a nifty piece. I just have never felt that hybrids offered quite the same sonics (but it is a nice compromise, depending). Also, and this is on a personal level, having a big box with the tubes inside, and little bitty minipins at that, takes a lot of the visual candy away!