Low Frequency crossover

Dave A

I have an EV TL440. I also have the 904 bass bin and the LF crossover for that which is a 50uf poly cap and 2.75mh inductor. Can I use something like this for the  TL440? I would like to use this as a sub for a center channel with a passive that would give me the bass and limit the midrange.

KP 450 LF.pdf

ScreenHunter_350 May. 24 21.30.jpg

The values on the crossover are too small to provide much of a 12db cut off until 400hz or so if the woofer is 4 ohms.  Using a passive subwoofer crossover on the speaker vs in line with an amplifier, the values are much larger.  There are also a lot of losses doing it with a passive.

Woofer is 8 ohms as shown in the TL440 specs. Yes I understand that I will lose some efficiency but my question still is what is suitable for a passive LF crossover for this sub and this is the specific topic I want an answer for. I do not want more amps I want to do it for now with a passive.

Woofer is 8 ohms as shown in the TL440 specs. Yes I understand that I will lose some efficiency but my question still is what is suitable for a passive LF crossover for this sub and this is the specific topic I want an answer for. I do not want more amps I want to do it for now with a passive.

Sorry for the double post things are a little goofy on line today with my pitiful 75kbs DSL

Throwing a crossover for one speaker into another will work, but not like you want it to.  The actual impedance is paramount.  You need the impedance curve of the woofer in the cabinet in question.  It will look a little like this, but with 2 "humps".  This is the curve for the woofer you have mounted on a plate.  As you can see, it is "8" ohms at only 2 places. 

Screenshot-2018-5-27 Electro-Voice EVX-180A Specifications (Page 3 of 4).png

Pick the impedance at the crossover frequency you desire and put that value and frequency in the this page:

http://ccs.exl.info/installation/crossovers-installation-tweaking/crossover-calculators/#first

Round the values to ones you can actually buy and expect some slop in the frequency from the rounding and the changing impedance in the graph.