New Klipschorns, $6,895:

kenratboy

Mace,

I would have to agree with you on the KLF vs RF issue.The RF seem much brighter on the top end.

My friend purchased his KLF20s on closeout fron Tweeter Etc. about a year in a half ago.He got them home and there was some problems with the cabinet (veneer issues) so before he brought them back he stopped by my house to compare against my Cornwalls.

I was REALLY surprised at how similiar the sound was between the two.I had them both hooked up to my Yamaha M-85 amp with the same speaker wire so we could do a direct A/B with them.

We brought them back to Tweeter and he though he might trade uo to the newly introduced RF series.We listened to both in the same listening room and we both agreed he made the right choice.The RFs were just too much on the top-nothing like the laid back KLFs.

Kinda reminded me of the older Infinity SM series-good tight bass but overpowering highs.I couldn't stand to listen to them for any length of time,the JBL titanium tweeters at the time were the same way.

Now,Dean may have a laid back amp setup which might perfectly match up with the RFs so it might just be the way to go but my Cornwalls as well as my newly acquired Klipschorns don't exibit any kind of shrillness that some people dislike with the heritage series.

Jeff

----------------

On 10/18/2002 1:33:03 PM JCturboT wrote:

Mace,

I would have to agree with you on the KLF vs RF issue.The RF seem much brighter on the top end.

My friend purchased his KLF20s on closeout fron Tweeter Etc. about a year in a half ago.He got them home and there was some problems with the cabinet (veneer issues) so before he brought them back he stopped by my house to compare against my Cornwalls.

I was REALLY surprised at how similiar the sound was between the two.I had them both hooked up to my Yamaha M-85 amp with the same speaker wire so we could do a direct A/B with them.

(snip)

Jeff

----------------

Hi Jeff,

Just to clarify, to me the KLF-30's sound brighter than my Cornwalls (and the Belles and LaScalas I've heard). Although I do think room acoustics have something to do with it. I've since moved my cornwalls and they've lost some of the "warmth" (200-400 Hz range, measured with RatShack meter). I think a boost in this range at the previous speaker position was due to room acoustics.

At any rate, I also heard RF-3's and 5's in a storeroom and they sounded pretty good. The only RF-7's I heard were at a different store and they sounded like crap. This was likely due to the store set-up (wiring, acoustics, placement or something).

Mace

Mace,

Yeah,I do think setup has alot to do with it,whether in the showroom or at the home.

But in both these cases-The Tweeter showroom and in my home we were doing them side by side same amp,same surroundings.

In the case of the KLF vs. the Cornwalls-when I let my friend do the switching between speakers I really couldn't tell which was playing-they were more similiar than different.Believe me,I wanted to hear the differences.

In the case of the KLF vs. the RF these were speakers that were selling for double the cost of the KLF-20s (they were marked down to $999.00 on closeout) so I would assume Tweeter would do their best to sell the RF-7s over the KLF with over twice the profit margin!

I think a lot of people want to hear a difference when they compare Audio and its sometimes-I say sometimes a mind over matter thing.If I spend X amount of dollars for speaker cables I BETTER hear a difference or I just wasted a hell of a lotta dough for nothing.Know what I'm saying?

Jeff

The thread has taken an interesting turn, and I'm sorry to say I have no idea what you all are talking about. "Laid back KLFs"? I read this comment and almost blew the pop out of my mouth I was drinking. I mean, the KLF's are the consumate "earbleeders".

Another comment indicated suprise that I would find the highs of the Heritage speakers "grating" compared to the RF7's. I just don't know what to say to that one.

Another comment indicated how close the Cornwalls and KLF's sounded side by side. Then later that the KLF's were "brighter" by comparison (easy to believe).

I can't imagine the RF7's sounding like "crap" under any condition. Of course, there is always the chance they were wired out of phase -- which wouldn't sound all that great for sure.

I've resigned myself to believing all Klipsch speakers sound great. There are simply too many variables to account for when trying to explain why one sounds better than another. Room acoustics, placement, ancillary equipment, taste, and actual hearing.

Now, as far as the Reference Series goes, I will say that since they use titanium tweeters -- there is the possibility that some of you can hear the "ringing" associated with these type drivers. All metal drivers ring, and though we are assured it takes place beyond the range of hearing -- it IS possible that some of you having hearing good enough to pick up on it.

However, it is hard for me to believe or understand how a two-way speaker can sound "brighter" than a three-way employing a sqawker.

Dean,

When I refer to the KLFs as being "laid back" I am comparing them to the RFs.Believe me I was shocked to hear the similarity between the KLF and the Cornwalls.

My friend and I have different attributes we like about speakers and we both agreed the RF weren't for him.It wasn't a dollar situtation (he's loaded) but more about the sound.

Now-it maybe our music styles of Hard Rock/Metal and the RFs may sound better for Classical/Jazz/Country but the KLF were better suited for our taste of music.

He is of one who like a "crisp" top end and I,myself hate speakers that have unnatural highs which is one of the reasons it took me this long to buy Klipsch speakers (listening to everyone complain about the horn sound)but this is just not the case with my Klipschorns or Cornwalls like you have heard in the past.

Now granted the RFs may have been hooked up incorrectly although I seriouly doubt it or they could have been connected to a lousy amp/receiver which is what I think.But if your saying the RFs are the end-all of Klipsch speakers you really ought to hear a set of properly set up Heritage.

Jeff

----------------

On 10/19/2002 1:35:51 PM deang wrote:

(snip)

Another comment indicated how close the Cornwalls and KLF's sounded side by side. Then later that the KLF's were "brighter" by comparison (easy to believe).

(snip)

I can't imagine the RF7's sounding like "crap" under any condition. Of course, there is always the chance they were wired out of phase -- which wouldn't sound all that great for sure.

(snip)

----------------

Deang,

Yeah, now that you mention it, the RF-7's sorta kinda did sound like they were out of phase in the showroom. Perhaps that was the problem. As I said, the RF-3's and 5's that I heard (at a different place) were way better than the 7's so that might explain it.

As far as the KLF's and laid backness I'd have to agree with Deang - they aren't. In my room (everything being equal: placement, source room etc.) my Cornwalls sound nothing like the KLF's. But, as I stated before, maybe the room itself favors one over the other (Corns in my case). The KLF's just tend to scratch my face more while I can just melt into the sound of the Corns. This is all at 85-100 dB with music like Dream Theater.

Mace