"Final" Configuration of System

Mallette

2 hours ago, JJkizak said:

f you have an 8 track be careful of the old cassettes you put into it as a lot of them have those plastic rollers that melt into the main unit and pretty much make it useless. Been there done that.

JJK

Back in the 70s I had a job with a 4 day week. Took a Saturday job at the local high fi shop. Lots of fun, and I made as much money fixing 8 track tapes at a dollar each as I did in wages. Never owned an 8 track. 4 track was MUCH superior...but like Beta, lost as it had half the playing time and nobody cared. I had (and still have in my garage) an automotive 45 rpm changer in my car that ran circles around 8 track in sound quality. Really looking to donate the changer to a local custom car builder if they'll put in in a classic rock n' roller. 

Dave

6 hours ago, haydukej said:

Ok, I'll bite...why the cassette deck? 

Got back into serious stereo about a year ago. Aside from the required "good" TT and cd player, also got a reel to reel, a cassette deck, a DAT deck, a laser disc player and a couple of other "dead format" players.  It's just a lot of fun comparing them :D 

Cheers, Emile

48 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Is that an Empire TT? 

Yes, sir. 598 Mark II equipped with Stanton cart for 78s. Signal path is through a RekOKut re-equalizer that has 57 different curves to match those of various early 78s. They sound absolutely amazing and many are stunned when they hear a quiet, wide range 78 recorded with a single microphone direct to disc. 

And the 598 is a marvelous machine for LP's as well. You should spend some time getting yours up and running. There's a good market for them if you don't want yours. I don't know what they bring currently, but I was happy to get mine for 350.00 20 years ago. They look like a million as well... I need to locate the pickup point adjustment on mine. It doesn't always pickup at the end. As you said, being magnetic it's a great system that doesn't impact arm performance.

Dave

37 minutes ago, Emile said:

Got back into serious stereo about a year ago. Aside from the required "good" TT and cd player, also got a reel to reel, a cassette deck, a DAT deck, a laser disc player and a couple of other "dead format" players.

I've a great LD player with S-video out and a 5 CD changer in the table as well. No room for it in there at the moment. Need to digitize all my LDs at some point.

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Schu said:

Ill sell you my LD collection... most all are CAV's.

Lord, I'd love to. Money is one problem, the other is I hooked mine up today and it's spinning up, then stalling around up and down, and stopping. I'm going to open it up and see if I can see any issues but these things are pretty tough to deal with. It will be a while before I can replace it. Still worthwhile if you purchase the last Pioneer of 1995 that played DVDs, CDs, and LDs with component out. Seen them in good shape for 350.00 or so. But that will be a while.

Dave