Best freq to low pass a sub ?

joessportster

Looking at the measurements it appears lower crossover gives better results, now for listening tests at the various points. I cannot get rid of the room node at 50ish HZ it is always there I wonder if the sharp drop and rise is better  though because it is not as spread out over more freq.  Anyone ?

12 hours ago, joessportster said:

Looking at the measurements it appears lower crossover gives better results, now for listening tests at the various points. I cannot get rid of the room node at 50ish HZ it is always there I wonder if the sharp drop and rise is better  though because it is not as spread out over more freq.  Anyone ?

Are those from the main listening position?  If so, move the mic around the room and re-measure.  I'll bet you'll be surprised at the results.

my take on the measurements is they are suspect.  

ive taken enough changing crossovers to know the response should be affected way more.

not sure if you are running full range on the fronts but it looks like it and also that the gain on the subs is almost zero -- look at the change in response....there isnt any and almost no phase change

as for where to cross ill say this -- its not a contest to cross the lowest

subs usually have more midbass than a pair of fronts...the lower you cross the less midbass you get overall because of this

imo i would rarily reco crossing less than 60 and preferably closer to 100...but the overall system response -- including feel -- should determine the crossover point

i COULD cross at 40hz easily but have always found multiple subs to outperform mains up to about 80 or 100hz....120 is actually very good too imo but the sub has to support it

measure just the sub at multiple positions to learn the subs true response then you can find that best crossover point.  unless you have monster mains i wouldnt cross low and even then would prefer the benefit of the subs and mains playing together in that critical range around 60 to 120hz

edit: actually the measurements are not suspect for sure but the scale is.  45 to 95db scale with 5db increments sbows you whats really going on....50db graph lines show no detail