THX material:

kenratboy

Ya, on the Kenwood website you used to be able to get a demo disk about one of their recievers. Someone posted the link right here in this forum as a matter of fact. Do a search on TXH and Kenwood here in the DVD's Music and Movies. Anyway, the DVD is free and it has I think 2 THX teasers, there are a couple of other things on it as well. can't beat it for free.

A lot of us have THX certified equipment and talk about demo DVD's but the movie makers just aren't producing THX stuff on DVD. I haven't seen one new release recently that is THX. The last one I saw was Star Wars. Why have 6.7, 7.1 and beyond of the movie makers aren't making DVD's past 5.1? It's a cost issue I imagine.

• Like 1

wel there is dd ex and dts es which is 6.1 discrete. also if you have 6.1 or 7.1 as i do, your receiver usually does a pretty good job at making that extra channel. i have yamaha rxv1200 which is a 6.1 receiver and whenver watching a dvd i always make it matrix that extra channel. after almost four months of testing i can say that with this receiver it is definetely better with the sixth channel on rather than off. and on top is is pretty discrete. my recieve does not have the dd ex symbol on it but when i play the thx optimizer thing that come with thx certified movies, the program recognizes the rear center channel and that sound only comes out of the rear center channel. also anyboy who has a yamaha receiver ( i'm on my second one) loves the 5 or 6 channel stereo for music and putting a rear center makes it sound better.

i just wanted to say that even if most dvd only have 5.1 sound tracks there are many reasons to get a 6.1 of 7.1 setup.

Why are movies not coming out with the THX-EX, well because they don't feel like paying Lucas to put those letters(that don't mean crap) on there DVD. THX is a joke, I'd rather see more movies coming out in the DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete. At least your 6.1 Receivers are getting there moneyies worth in this format.

THX-EX is nothing more then 5.1 matrixed to a 6.1 format. In easy to understand terms the 2 surrond speakers are matrixed into 3 or 4 back surronds. So say your Receiver does 100 watts per channel. your surrond in THX-EX or DD-EX is now 66 watts per channel(with 3 backs) and 50 watts per channel(with 4 backs)

Now with DTS-ES Discrete the format is this with Receivers with 100 watts per channel

6.1 receivers do 6 channels of discrete 100 watts per channel(3 back)

7.1 receivers do 6 channels of discrete but matrix the back suurond to 50 watts each!

Here is a website that will probably explain this better then I just did, but remember this THX IS A JOKE. Don't make Lucas any richer because of a lucky movie!!!

http://www.timefordvd.com/ref/dts-ES.shtml

1.gif1.gif

ex at first was a joint collaboration between dolby & thx. but now they seem to have gone their seperate ways - you can see either thx ex or dolby ex. f.e., "we were soldiers" is dolby ex. they're basically the same as far as encoding anyway as it was dolby that worked out the code in the 1st place.

& whether you run 6.1 or 7.1 speakers shouldn't decrease the power. if an amp or receiver is rated 7X200 watts, all channels driven, then it should have that power to each channel whether you're driving one rear surround speak or 2.

pick up a copy of SOUND AND VISION magazine this months issue and it explains everything about THX you wanna know....it tells how a pc of gear gets its rating and what it means...how stringent an amp or recvr has to go thru to get that thx symbol...also if you didnt realize, a lot of recvrs dont perform in the lab as they say they do...they test a lot of recvrs and the output falls fasr short of what the manufacturer says it is!! beware!!...lol