ProMedia 4.1 Longterm Use Tips?

jsnyder

I'm wondering what everyone recommends about longterm use of these speakers? I've just picked up a set of refurbed 4.1s and so far they've been awesome, but I'm concerned about longterm usage. When they aren't in use I always put them in standby mode, and after extended usage I usually check the temp of the sub to make sure it isn't overheating too much. How much can one crank them up on a regular basis without worrying about too much fatigue?

----------------

On 10/11/2002 7:47:17 PM jsnyder wrote:

I'm wondering what everyone recommends about longterm use of these speakers? I've just picked up a set of refurbed 4.1s and so far they've been awesome, but I'm concerned about longterm usage. When they aren't in use I always put them in standby mode, and after extended usage I usually check the temp of the sub to make sure it isn't overheating too much. How much can one crank them up on a regular basis without worrying about too much fatigue?

----------------

What do you mean you put them in standby mode??

• Like 1

Yeah. These speakers remind me of more high end audio equipment having full-on, standby,and unplugged. 1.gif I've never seen this anywhere else except in home theater boxes.

It's a good idea not to crank the speakers too often, considering you've got a 400 Watt amp inside a subwoofer box. Keep an eye to make sure it doesn't get too hot. I've seen people fry 400 Watt truck amps before simply because they overheated. 14.gif

If the subwoofer plate feels a little too warm, even though according to Klipsch it should never get hot, put a fan near it. I have my oscillating fan blowing on low on the sub at all times. That plate never gets warm now. I think just keeping the amp cool is the biggest thing to worry about, since unlike other speaker sets I've had, this isn't no kiddie amp they're putting in the sub box.9.gif 400 Watts is nothing to sneeze at. My computer speakers are more powerful than my roommate's boombox. 1.gif

----------------

On 10/12/2002 4:35:45 PM I26 wrote:

----------------

On 10/11/2002 7:47:17 PM jsnyder wrote:

----------------

What do you mean you put them in standby mode??

----------------

I meant the speaker engage/disengage switch.

----------------

On 10/13/2002 2:43:16 PM I26 wrote:

Are you talking about the switch on the back of the sub itself? I thought that was simply an on/off switch.

----------------

The switch/button on the far right of the control pod w/ the red/green led. The printed docs that came w/ the speakers call it the "Speaker Engage Switch."

• 1 month later...

Hey bud, I've been running 4.1's for about two years now, no problems other than the "scratchy" plugs that I'll someday get around to fixing. Here's what I recommend...enjoy the hell out of em! I listen to a little bit of everything, excluding rap and most country, and mine are what I'd call "cranked" fairly often. I've noticed no degredation in sound quality since new. I also leave my pc up most if not all the time, and have had no issues with the amplifier. And these are also previous to the "standby" mode now available. Again, the best thing you can do with these things is load up some clean tracks in your mp3 player of choice and listen as loud as you please! Have fun.

Here's a quote from GEARs review of the Altec 641s.... "I strongly recommend the 641s to gamers, but that's no big mystery. The bass alone will provide joy enough, not too mention some seriously pissed off neighbors and family members to justify the price. However, if you're a sound snob, then you might find the 641s a little off balance. Again, the sound is delicate enough to communicate subtle passages, and big enough to out-thump the competition, but it could be brighter in the mids and high-mids."

Ok.... nuff said

Love them way the last for the nexct 6 months. As far as the Altec 641. I did say they sounded better to me. As you can see each review as their own sound they would like to hear. THe 641 was setup for gamming and that is what I use it for. I have not had any problmes with them and they have lasted longer the the 4 PM i had.