1978 Hersey upgrades or mods

BobH

Hi,

I'm the owner of a pair of Hersey speakers which I purchased new in 1978, are there any upgrades or mods that I should perform or be aware of. In 2018 also just added two RP-160 (rear), a RP-440C (center), and the R-112SW (sub), thanks in advance for you comments.

Bob

🙂

Hi Bob, welcome to the forums.

I don't know anything about Heresy mods so I can't help you, but I'm sure there are some people here who can give you some good advice.

+++

How do you like the RP-440C between those Heresy's?  Does the sound blend OK?  I am in the camp of "get the best center speaker you can find" but the majority opinion on center speakers is to timbre match.  Your opinion?

Hi right back @BobH

This is fantastic: 

I owned 1990 Heresy IIs that I bought new until this spring, then I missed them so much I picked up a pair of 1978 Heresy Is converted into Super Heresy. The soundstage is completely different and bigger, the bass is completely different and bigger.

I'm not exaggerating, and that is why I think the baby Cornwall name was put in there. It just sounds like a much bigger speaker. @ClaudeJ1 is working on another project right now but also has ideas about a version 2 of the super heresy.

So I would say delve into that thread before you decide to refresh the crossovers and\or drivers before making up your mind and forking out the $.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say if they still sound good, leave them alone. You could swap the crossovers out for some boutique ones or perhaps freshen a tired set of tweeter/squawker diaphragms if necessary but as for mods, adding the factory riser works pretty nicely. Other than that, I just let mine do their thing.

On 9/21/2018 at 3:24 PM, KlipschFan61 said:

I'd say if they still sound good, leave them alone. You could swap the crossovers out for some boutique ones or perhaps freshen a tired set of tweeter/squawker diaphragms if necessary but as for mods, adding the factory riser works pretty nicely. Other than that, I just let mine do their thing.

Kind of agree, but the caps need replacing 1978 until 2018 is a good run for almost anything. 

Bob Crites refreshment at a minimum would be well worth it.

What I chimed in with is still fresh on my mind but it is altering the Heresy.

• Like 1

Agreed that 40-plus year-old oil caps are probably in need of replacement. I did the Crites AA kit to my '78 La Scalas about 10 years ago. The HD/BR's I acquired a few years ago were kept behind a screen and rarely ever got played. They still sound nice and fresh to me. This summer, I revamped the La Scalas with new Crites AS/4500 networks and replaced both the tweeter and squawker with the Crites goodies and now the big boxes compliment the Heresy when played together quite nicely.

Gotta love these birch boxes!