Noisy Monster 5000

Mighty Favog

I have a Monster Power HTS 5000 power conditioner that's been in service in one of my systems for about 15-years. After a recent move I set up the system and putting the 5000 back in service. Now the problem.

I didn't notice it right away, but now I hear a light buzzing noise coming from the VU meter while meter is PEGGED on maximum (130DCV+). I checked the output of the outlets on the back which read 123v - verified correct by a nearby APC H15. But when the room is quiet I can clearly hear the buzzing/rattling. Also the back light on the meter no longer works and the whole unit will NOT turn off. I can only unplug it.

With that limited amout of information, would just replacing the meter assembly gets thing back to normal or is ghis thing better gotten rid of for fear of equipment damage?

One more thing, while the rear outlets are reading 123v the two front outlets only read 8.6v.

6 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

One more thing, while the rear outlets are reading 123v the two front outlets only read 8.6v

A meter certainly won't fix that.  I'd chunk it.  If it's not reading the correct voltage and not outputting the correct voltage it's probably not protecting anything either.

1 minute ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I would dump it.  They no longer make these quality Conditioners that Ricard Marsh was involved in designing.  There are several great options that won't break the bank for a replacement such as:

https://www.audioadvisor.com/mobile/prodinfo.asp?number=PGNPC8

I was contemplating replacing it. I have a couple of APC H15's in other systems and really like the idea of voltage regulation. I've found one for about $238 shipped but was hoping get a bit more time out of the 5000. Just now I opened it up and disconnected the meter (easily done without puling it out of the rack).