First Klipsch System Build!!

Aplante

Hello, I joined the forum to learn more about Klipsch speakers and building my first system. It is a little overwhelming looking at all the different speakers that Klipsch offer and trying to figure out what model is better than the other.

Im starting on the used market to try and get the best bang for my buck. I have been browsing my local adds and have found some eye appealing deals. Ultimately I found a RC-64 series I. Asking price is $250. So i started to do my research.... and i can't find anything on the series I for this model. My first questions are 1.) Is this a typo and he has a series II, and 2.) if its not a typo, is the series I a good starting center speaker?

With that said, there is also a RC-62 series II for $130 asking. Is that something I should considered. 

Reading around the forums it seems like you need to "Match" up speakers with similar models, but I am not sure on the logistics of that means. 

Any advice to start off would be great, thanks for reading.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Aplante said:

Hello, I joined the forum to learn more about Klipsch speakers and building my first system. It is a little overwhelming looking at all the different speakers that Klipsch offer and trying to figure out what model is better than the other.

Welcome @Aplante.  You have come to the right place.  Lots of friendly guys here willing to help.

Im starting on the used market to try and get the best bang for my buck.

Definitely a great way to save some money.

Ultimately I found a RC-64 series I. Asking price is $250. So i started to do my research.... and i can't find anything on the series I for this model. My first questions are 1.) Is this a typo and he has a series II, and 2.) if its not a typo, is the series I a good starting center speaker?

The RC-64 is an incredible center channel.  It was designed to go with the RF63 or the larger RF83.  I owned the RF83 with RC64 for many years and only sold them after purchasing a pair of LaScalas.  $250 for an RC64 (even the Version I) is a great deal.  I believe it retailed for around $800 - $900 new.  I bought my RC64 in Jan of 2009 for $571.00 when Klipsch was discontinuing the Cherry Finish and was able to get a great deal on it.  It would be an EXCELLENT center to start with (and likely finish with) unless you want to upgrade to the LaScalas.  ;)

With that said, there is also a RC-62 series II for $130 asking. Is that something I should considered. 

The RC62 is a great center channel. I  personally would not go with anything smaller than the RC62 (like the RC52, RC42 etc).  Is the RC64 worth $120 more, I personally think but $120 is a fantastic price for a very good center channel too.

Reading around the forums it seems like you need to "Match" up speakers with similar models, but I am not sure on the logistics of that means. 

You will hear the term "Voice Matching".  Typically you want to have at least your front three speakers voice matched.  This basically means they have the same sound characteristics (same type tweeter and woofers, similar crossover etc).  If you have RF82 (Reference Series) and try and use a KV3 (used in the Epic Series), they have a completely different tweeter so when sounds pan across the front three speakers, you will hear a change in sound going from one speaker to the next.  The absolute best setup would be to have three identical speakers up front that way there is an absolutely seamless transition from one speaker to the next but the reality is most people do not have the space or ability to have a vertical center channel, thus the reason for horizontal center channels.

As you can see from the screenshot below, I have owned a few Klipsch over the years.  I say this not to brag...but to forewarn of the addiction.   LOL.

speaker-list-11-25-18.jpg                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Hope that helps,

Michael

• Like 2

Welcome....any RC64 is a superb center channel speaker. If you found an RC64 for $250 that's a steal. The original was an RC64, then the RC64ll was a slightly updated version. The RC64lll recently came out. The RC62ll is also a very good center, it has two 6" woofers, the RC64 has four 6" woofers. 

"Matching up" is also called timbre matching, it means all the speakers have similar sound characteristics, and will blend well together.

Are you starting a multi channel system for movies and TV? 

A few matching speakers for RC64/RC62 (the older reference premier series)  would be RF42, RF62, Rf82, and the RF7.

Do you have an AVR or power source? Do you have a budget? Where are you located? There are many on here that keep an eye on the used gear market, and can guide you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Youthman said:

Welcome @Aplante.  You have come to the right place.  Lots of friendly guys here willing to help.

Definitely a great way to save some money.

The RC-64 is an incredible center channel.  It was designed to go with the RF63 or the larger RF83.  I owned the RF83 with RC64 for many years and only sold them after purchasing a pair of LaScalas.  $250 for an RC64 (even the Version I) is a great deal.  I believe it retailed for around $800 - $900 new.  I bought my RC64 in Jan of 2009 for $571.00 when Klipsch was discontinuing the Cherry Finish and was able to get a great deal on it.  It would be an EXCELLENT center to start with (and likely finish with) unless you want to upgrade to the LaScalas.  ;)

The RC62 is a great center channel. I  personally would not go with anything smaller than the RC62 (like the RC52, RC42 etc).  Is the RC64 worth $120 more, I personally think but $120 is a fantastic price for a very good center channel too.

You will hear the term "Voice Matching".  Typically you want to have at least your front three speakers voice matched.  This basically means they have the same sound characteristics (same type tweeter and woofers, similar crossover etc).  If you have RF82 (Reference Series) and try and use a KV3 (used in the Epic Series), they have a completely different tweeter so when sounds pan across the front three speakers, you will hear a change in sound going from one speaker to the next.  The absolute best setup would be to have three identical speakers up front that way there is an absolutely seamless transition from one speaker to the next but the reality is most people do not have the space or ability to have a vertical center channel, thus the reason for horizontal center channels.

As you can see from the screenshot below, I have owned a few Klipsch over the years.  I say this not to brag...but to forewarn of the addiction.   LOL.

speaker-list-11-25-18.jpg                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Hope that helps,

Michael

Awesome information. Im going to try to score the RC-64. 

Looking at my left and right, buying used might be hard to find RF62's or RF82's. what would be an up to date comparison of a speaker to match the RC-64.

How is the R-820-F? This is on sale right now %50 off.

Some examples of what is for sale in the used market in my area is really only some RF3's right now for $400.

I am looking in the boston area. Thanks

16 hours ago, Aplante said:

Im starting on the used market to try and get the best bang for my buck. I have been browsing my local adds and have found some eye appealing deals. Ultimately I found a RC-64 series I. Asking price is $250. So i started to do my research.... and i can't find anything on the series I for this model. My first questions are 1.) Is this a typo and he has a series II, and 2.) if its not a typo, is the series I a good starting center speaker?

Any advice to start off would be great, thanks for reading.

the rc-62II for $130 wouldn't be in MA by any chance? if so then its mine posted on craigslist. probably no more than 20 hours on it.

15 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Welcome....any RC64 is a superb center channel speaker. If you found an RC64 for $250 that's a steal. The original was an RC64, then the RC64ll was a slightly updated version. The RC64lll recently came out. The RC62ll is also a very good center, it has two 6" woofers, the RC64 has four 6" woofers. 

"Matching up" is also called timbre matching, it means all the speakers have similar sound characteristics, and will blend well together.

Are you starting a multi channel system for movies and TV? 

A few matching speakers for RC64/RC62 (the older reference premier series)  would be RF42, RF62, Rf82, and the RF7.

Do you have an AVR or power source? Do you have a budget? Where are you located? There are many on here that keep an eye on the used gear market, and can guide you.

No AVR yet. My budget is what i can reasonably afford at the time. Nothing to crazy but gear i wont need to upgrade for a while. I am in Mass.