Single KG 2.5 as a center with KG 5.5s

Jonathan

Can I use a single KG2.5 speaker as a center channel for my KG 5.5s? I feel bad about passing on an Academy for $250, but felt I couldnt afford it right now. In the 2.5 there seems to be a conical tweeter and in my KG 5.5s there is the K-85-K Tractix. From what I have learned from this great BB, I need matching tweeters. If anyone has had any success using a single speaker from a pair, as a center, please let me know.

-Jon

sirjonjk,

I have the KG 5.5, and ordered myself a KG 2.2v center channel. It should arrive today, and I'll give a report on how well it works for me. I will be comparing this to the KV-2 which I already have in my posession. Should be a great head to head battle. Stay tuned.

T-man

Well folks, I think I just bought my last speaker from Ebay. Second time I got burned in the past 2 months. The KG2.2v arrived in a box packed only with a bit of newspaper. Every corner was smashed, and there were large scratches on every surface of the "excellent condition with no chips, dents or dings" advertised speaker.

I thought I'd hear what it sounded like at least, so sat it on top of my TV and connected it. I turned the TV on, and had a fit. I couldn't get the speaker off quick enough, because it turned the top half of my TV RED!!! It was on there for about 90 seconds, and I hope I didn't permanently damage my TV!!

I openned up the speaker to find that one of the bucking magnets and shielding cups was broken off the driver and hanging off to the side. What a piece.

Needless to say, I didn't do my testing yet, and am seeking a refund. I'll let you know if I ever end up keeping this and doing some comparison testing. I'm thinking I may be able to build a custom speaker box built into my entertainment center with the components (if they even work).

T-man

sirjonjk:

The most important issue in your front speakers is to have timbre-matched speakers so that sounds that move across the front are consistent. The 2.5 will work in that manner with the 5.5, even with the different horn. The main problem I see is that the 2.5 is not video shielded to be a center. This may or may not have a negative effect with your TV.

PhilH

I sure do wish someone would save themselves time and money and listen to what I have to say. After all,I know it all.

With KG5.5's,use a Klipsch KLFC7 for an all-round GREAT center speaker.You may even try a Klipsch KSPC6 or a Klipsch KSFC5 if HT is your bag and you want the utmost in CLARITY.

Go forth and use YOUR money wisely. smile.gif

Keith

Hey Keith, I know it all too!! That 2.2V is a really fine speaker (if it's in working order!) t-man, stay on em! No excuse for that to happen!!!!! Sounds like it was very poorly packaged! I sold my 2.2V to a friend down the road who has it as a center with KG4.5's. Sounds GREAT! I upgraded to an Academy, and fortunately it WAS packed in the original box and double boxed too. It arrived in perfect shape. I wish I would have held on to the 2.2 though just to have in case I start up another room!

Good luck

Mike

Mikekid,

How is that Academy compared to the the 2.2v?

The guy who sold me the 2.2v offered to give me a refund less shipping. The $20 for shipping to me is worth the trouble of trying to rebirth the KG 2.2v. I reglued the bucking magnet and shielding cups (after 2 hourse of cleaning the old epoxy off with a razor blade - yuk!). I will have to rebuild the cabinet as it is totally wasted. I hooked it up just to see how it sounds, and it appears at this point that it is working. Doesn't sound that much different than the KV2, (it's definitely not worse) but I did have to crank up the center channel volume a couple notches compared to the KV2. I haven't done too much testing yet, as I gotta fix this baby up. Planning on building a cabinet for it that will match exactly with my entertainment center. For $20, it's worth putting some time and money into fixing it up to my liking. Wouldn't have paid more for it in this condition, though.

Good thing I still have my KV2 in the meantime. It's actually growing on me. Since I put it on top of the TV, and got my KG 5.5s hooked up, it seems to be a better match than my previous set-up. It also depends on the DVD, which I have found out makes big differences in how the center channel sounds. Various DTS music DVDs and movie soundtracks all make the center speaker sound good one minute, poor the next. If I can't sell the KV2, I may keep it for a future DTS-ES upgrade as a rear center speaker.

T-man

t-man, the Academy is a little closer in db sensitivity to my chorus's so it "keeps up" a bit better. I think it is a closer timbre match as well...but, that KG2.2v wasn't too shabby at all. It held it's own too, especially for it's size. I had to do alot of level adjustment with it, but once it was dialed in...not bad at all. The sound across the front sounds more even with the Academy. It's a very powerful sounding speaker like the Chorus. I like it ALOT!

Good to hear the seller is willing to work with you on that mess. It would seem criminal to destroy a Klipsch like that!

Still wish I didn't sell that 2.2V!!

Take care

Mike

t-man,just as I told you the KV2 would match the 5.5's well,the only improvement above and beyond the KV2,for use with the 5.5's, will be a KLFC7.My personal opinion is that the KSFC5 is a better center for the 5.5's, if your primary interest is HT.The clarity of voices with the C5 is much better than the C7.I paid $197 at local dealer for my C5.

I have right now as I type this post a C7, a C5,and a KV2.The C5 is in use and the rest are in cold storage.I tell you this for your benefit.

Keith

talktokeith,

Sounds like you have a wonderful relationship with that local dealer. I remember the story you told me on how you got those recent KSP's.

You still have another KV2? How do you maintain a successful marriage with all those speaker purchases?

How is that C5 working out with the center sub? Any improvement?

Will give this 2.2v a chance for a while. So far, I like it. Looks a bit "top heavy", on my TV, though. Wife hates it, of course (:

T-man

Ha! t-man, put some flowers, plants or figuerines on top of that speaker...My wife put a family of deer figuerines and an oil lamp on top of the Academy. NOW she's ok with it.... good grief!!! biggrin.gif

oops, I forgot to mention the doiley (sp?) geeezzzzz.............

Hey t-man, how's it hangin? Yeah, I try to keep a good supply of speakers around.Ran across a deal on a pair of NIB KT-DS THX dipole surrounds.Don't need em. Got em. smile.gif

The C5-center sub experiment is on hold.Been working alot.Tried a quick test one day and decided it would take a little fine tuning.I try not to make hasty decisions.

Good luck with the center (get a C7).

Keith