Yaaaaa Just bought my RF3II package from tweeter!!!!

elgrillo

Its here finally. The army of beasts have entered my dwelling. I got them for $1374 including tax and 50ft of monster speaker wire. I can't wait to get these up and going. By the way they offered a 10 yr extended warranty for $100. Is it worth it? I am also going to need some help getting these puppies to reference level, since I am a complete newb at this. Any online guidesthat can walk me through this? By the way I am now selling klipsch promedia 5.1's for $250 if anyone is interested.

Time to change my profile. 9.gif

Congratulations!

I don't think you need to worry about the 10 yr. extended warrantee. Those things are rarely worth the ink that they are written with :

1.) The "warrantee" is actually nothing more than an insurance policy.

2.) Speakers are even more reliable than computers. If they work properly for the first 10 minutes they will typically outlive the original purchaser.

3.) Your new speakers come with a 3 year warrantee. If they still work after 3 years see: 2 above.

4.) These warrantees are invariably prorated and give the insurer umpteen options and the insured has the option only of accepting the insurer's remedy or not.

5.) Such warrantees are rarely transferable and if transferable there will be a transfer fee of 25% to 50% of the original premium.

6.) Virtually all of these warrantees are pro-rated against the original purchase price. For example let's assume you pay $1000.00 for a pair of speakers that list for $1250.00.

Let's further assume that 8 years later one of the speakers dies and you can satisfy the insurer that the failure was a parts or manufacturing defect and that a replacement speaker pair now sells for $2300.00 list. Here's the real math:

Original amt. insured = 1000/2 = 500 per speaker

Balance of coverage = 2/10 X 500 = 100.00

Replacement cost of defunct speaker : 2300/2 = 1150.00

Out of pocket cost ? 1150-100 = 1050.00

BTW The insurer will in all likelihood insist that your purchase the replacement from the dealer of their choice who will not discount the price by more than 50.00 to a captive buyer. OTOH if you went to the dealer w/o an insurance company chit the odds are that he might be willing to discount by about 150.00 or even considerably better if you were to buy a new higher end speaker system.

Thus at a minimum you will be scr{e}wed out of the original premium and should you need to file a claim in all likelihood the scr{e}wing will amount to a few hundred more.

Did I mention that I think extended warrantee deals are almost always great deals for the selling dealer and the insurance company ? 9.gif

Congrats and welcome to the "Klipsch Klub", now that you got some real Klipsch speakers 9.gif. Go search the forum and there should be plenty of advice around on how to setup and get your system up. You may do well to invest invest in something like the Avia guide to Home Theater (or whatever it's called).

Again, welcome and enjoy your new speakers. If I recall correctly, you also said you had a Yamaha reciever? That should be a good system. Let us know how it sounds when you get it all setup.

I also agree with Lynmm - save the $100 and skip the "extended warrentee". I had this same discussion with my next door neighbor. They are talking about buying a new computer and with the model they are looking at, Best Buy wants to charge $100 for an "extended warrentee". I told them it is not worth it.

Thanks for the reply fellas, I think I will take the risk and skip the warranty. Man these surrounds are freaking big. There is no mistaking that they are in the room. I guess I am just used to the poor little promedias. I will give the 100 billionth review on these once ive had a chance to really listen to them. By the way does "quality" speaker cable really make a difference?

P.S again to those who are interested in the 5.1 promedia's I can email you some pics. Damn i need cash now.

I am on my second week of owning the same set of speakers paired with a Denon AVR 2802. I still get chills when I watch movies...6.gif As far a cables go, I posted the same question...not wanting to dirty up these fine speakers. Well I finally went with a 14 gauge copper strand wire. Nothing fancy at 22 cents per ft. As long as your wire runs do not parallel your power cords or other power cables in your room, I didn't see the need to go with a shielded cable. Most posters said the same and agreed that as long as you didn't choke the signal in a thin wire (especially long runs) that plain 14 ga. cable works fine.

Let me tell you, I still have't found the limit of these speakers w/my cables. I would at least try out plain wire first, I bought enough to biwire the set (about 145 feet) and it only set me back like 35 bucks at Home Depot. You can easily spent 10 times that on just a center channel wire w/all the bells and whistles.

I am still searching for a sub, everyone raves at the SVS and the RSW's...I just want something that will make me feed from a tube after watching movies 14.gif. Hope this helps.

Hey tank, seems like you and me are in the same boat. I too just went with homedepot cables. I too am looking for a sub to go along with my setup. I am strongly looking at the svs 2531 pci since I have yet to see a bad review on it. I just don't know if I should bother going for the 2039pci, but am a little put off by the aesthetics of it.