Turntable/Preamp Advice

Tarheel

I have a new Rega Planar 3 turntable and a new Hana EH moving coil both running through a new Schiit Mani phono pre.

The problem is it sounds rather dark and bass heavy.  If I play CDs rather than vinyl leaving the Mani and the TT out of the loop and going through my Quicksilver tubed preamp everything sounds normal.

Too much gain from the Mani?

Cartridge alignment?

Since the cartridge is mc I can't just plug it in to the QS because it only takes mm.

Ideas?

26 minutes ago, rplace said:

Return Hana for low output version? I've never been a fan of high output MC. Trying to be something it is not.... maybe just me.

VTA? Raise up the back end a tad.

Do you have a test LP?

Reply edited for additional info. Yes Hi-Fi Heaven will refund the money.  No test LP.  The VTA is set for Rega cartridges.....others require spacers I've read.

47 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Thanks Edgar.....I had read about the need for spacers when using non Rega cartridges but had hoped that would not be needed.  Perhaps I will have to go that route though the cart does not seem to be bottoming out.

I use bicycle headset spacers similar to these on my Rega Planar 3: https://www.amazon.com/Sumind-Pieces-Bicycle-Carbon-Headset/dp/B075MGKQ5J/ref=asc_df_B075MGKQ5J/

Be aware that the cover will not close if you raise the back of the arm too high.

Edit: you may also need an extra-deep tonearm nut if you raise the arm. It is available from Rega.

Son of Edit: https://www.lpgear.com/product/REGASLEEVE.html

Edited by Edgar
Added sleeve nut info.
  • Thanks 1

Problem solved......user error.  Apparently if you use the Schiit Mani phono pre you don't plug it into phono on your main preamp.  Didn't know that but Matt at Needledoctor did!  Changed it to video and problem solved.  Sounds great.

Thanks for the help.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Problem solved......user error.  Apparently if you use the Schiit Mani phono pre you don't plug it into phono on your main preamp.  Didn't know that but Matt at Needledoctor did!  Changed it to video and problem solved.  Sounds great.

Thanks for the help.

Oh for sure. As far as I've ever seen any external phono stage takes your cartridge signal (not matter the type) and turns it more or less into a line device. So treat it just like any other device CD/Aux/Etc. Glad it was simple.

• Thanks 1