anyone looking for CORNWALL Is ???

DANOCASTER

Kelly, - I am NOT changin'..I'm STOPPING !! I have my Chorus 1s and my Musical Fidelity / Rega stuff and it sounds GREAT !! so..I'm spending money on vintage guitars and amps and just ENJOYING my vinyl collection and focusing on CREATING music ( as oppossed to RE-creating music ) for a while.

The spks are great and look great..But they were put in my basement system #2 and we just got two puppies so I figured.."i'm not listening to them and those pups will soon chew them up..I'll turn them into a cool vintage mic or guitar..the speakers- not the puppies! "

Dig ?? Groovy

I had the A300..Then the new A308 Integrated (which is LEAGUES better and way more tubey sounding than any of our CJ stuff) but I may get their new TRIVISTA Integrated..maybe ?? We'll see..It always helps to be a dealer when buying this stuff !! Kelly, which did you listen too ??

I like Musical Fidelity as a company. The only Musical Fidelity amplifier I have had in my own home was the bargain X-A1 integrated. I was shopping for my then girlfriend and she wanted something problem free that still had some of the tube sound that she was hearing at my place. So we gave it a whirl...for 29 days. It just did not have the bloom and life and that special character of even a less expensive tube amp. It was VERY well built and a great bargain at the time. But ultimately she ended up with a Jolida 302B used. IT was a significant upgrade.

I have heard some of the othe Class A Musical Fidelity amps and have thought them very nice. I am suprized you said the MF gear sounds more "tubey" than Conrad Johnson. Which models are you talking about? I havent heard the latest MF amps such as the A308 or the new Tri-Vista.

So you are selling all the vintage tube amps? I wish you would send that Scott 299 this way first so I could audition the beast!

kh

AS far as the MF stuff, they have really developed alot in the last few years. They arent a direct order company w/ internet importers like Audio Advisor anymore. Their stuff is still incredibly well built- OVERBUILT - but has come a long way. All the X-Can stuff is gone except the phono stage and headphone amp and its all full size components. Huge transformers w/ full choke regulation. Pretty awesome stuff. The new A308 has been reviewed w/ quotes like "Sounds more tube than most tube amps,etc" and they'll be using that in their media push. I owned a Jolida 302 when I first got the MF A308.And had a 502 before that. I only took it home to better know the amp so I could be a more knowledgable salesman. I never expected to keep it !! But the 308 was lusher,smoother, with better bass control(and at $3000 ALOT more expensive).. The Tri-Vista which is just being released is supposed to be pretty incredible. That said...I love tubes ..ALOT..I often take home the CJ Premier 17 and hate returning it after the weekend!!!

If youre simply curious email me privately ( Sparkledrive1@aol.com) and I'll send you the new MF literature - just so you know alittle about it..I think you'd like it

Interesting question and one which has gotten so many contradictory answers, it is hard to claim any one answer. The Cornwall, like other heritage, used a variety of drivers, magnets, horns, and even cabinets. There is the vertical oriented Cornwall that seems to offer the best imaging (and comes with Alnico and Type B). You have metal horns, plastic horns, three different crossovers (and counting), different woofers, horns mounted on inside and outside, different tweets and mids, mud vs ferrite vs Alnico etc. Cornwall II? Which one? Heh.... It is a mess of changes and when recommending ye olde Cornwall, most NEW buyers have no idea they are walking into a plethora of differences within that big ole box.

And the opinions of which is BEST, brings many differences as well... Start standing on a chair, yelling willy-nilly about your ALNICO drivers and ole Brennan will come a runnin' saying they are no better, besides appearance, than your ferrite. Others disagree.

What would I do if looking for the ultimate Cornwall? Personally, I would opt for Cornwall with vertical horns, Alnico drivers, and Type B crossover(which ran in the 60s with another run in the early 70s, I believe). I believe Allan Songer has a pair. Second choice would be a pristine pre-79 Cornwall with horz metal horns, Alnico mid and tweet, and Type B oil crossover. Why pre-79? Somewhere along the way here, the Alnico was dropped from the mid and tweet. I have seen 79 with them. I know 77-78 has them. I also know that the Type B crossover was still in use in the late 70s, changing somewhere in the hazy area of early 80s.

I am sure a few might get on here and state some more exact dates. I have refrained lately since there is quite a lot of contradiction. I do know that if you stay in the 77-78 range and back, you are most definitely going to receive the Alnico/metal horn/Type B xover version. The only way to REALLY know for sure, however, this based on the fact that people could have changed drivers etc, is to open up the back of the unit (pre-84 heh...), and take a LOOK within.

kh

ps- As for the date codes of all Klipsch Heritage, take a look at the page I did awhile back. It explains the numbering system to ascertain date.

http://home.earthlink.net/~ivol/klipsch_cornwall/klipsch_date_codes.htm

Jeez... Another FULL-ON, totally open question with the answers varying just like ebay bidding! Last year, the Cornwalls were king and the La Scala were in the hopper. I have heard the most positive comments with the Cornwalls and Khorns with some even preferring the Cornwalls over them all. Then again, the tables will completely turn in favor of an ALL HORN LOADED approach with the La Scala/Belle getting the nod for the full horn loading, which brings that horn-loaded bass signature. The La Scala dont go as low as the Cornwall. Also, many have not heard the better version of the CW. Add to THAT is the fact I have not heard the La Scala in YEARS so am not a good judge on it.

Allan Songer had the La Scala in his home for awhile and preferred the Cornwalls which he ended up staying with. Of course, he has the vertical CW with ALL Alnico and Oil caps alternating with the ALKS when mood strikes. Tom Brennan prefers the Cornwalls over the La Scala as well. So do a host of others day gone by. They have a overall tonal balance that is VERY pleasing when setup correctly with good tube amplification. They seem to be very balanced and work VERY well with my 2A3 monos and just as beguiling with the vintage PP tube amps.

Lately, as stated, there has been a pull toward the La Scala by many on here. They will surely chime in. I can see their point. It's fully horn loaded giving that trademark sound; they also speak of the midrange having less of an impact from the bottom end. STill, the Cornwall has a very satisfying bottom when using GOOD amps. I dont find the reflex loading a problem at all in this design and the midrange, to my ears, is extremely nice. The Cornwall cries BALANCE. BUT, you have to audition yourself. I think both can offer some good points, depending.

One positive for the Cornwall is that it looks a lot less "PA" based and is MUCH easier to place in your room. The La Scala is a BIGGER box and look to some like the PA system in the high school. I happen to not mind the looks of the La Scala but I know that I cant fit it in my house; the La Scala has an enduring industrial speaker quality and can look nice when finished. That being said, I am not real rush to trade in these CW, which have a soul and magic all their own, at least my version in my system/setup.

So, when asking a question such as this, you will get countless answers and opinions. Again, you must decide. I will add that I would also not count out other options besides Klipsch. Not a popular statement in this forum but a wise one to consider depending. Still, I rate the vintage Cornwall with Alnico and Type B some of the best speakers I have heard with a soul that you dont find with other HIFI options.

kh

Thanks,kelly.

I have a pair of JBL L300(summit) as well as a pair of L65(jubal).

I really like the summit that has a 15" woofer and horn mid/tweeter.That is the reason for considering the cornwall which is ever more efficient.

The JBL goes lower on the base than the Khorns but the quality of base does'nt equal the Khorn,which sounds just right.

I will try to audition the cornwalls as soon as I settle in the US and hope that I'll like them or buy another pair of Khorns,if we'll have enough room.

Well said Kelly. I think the Cornwall is a VERY good speaker and I've come to think, from recent listenings, that the LaScala is a pretty mediocre one. All this based on tonality and balance, I think the LS's tonality faults overweigh it's formidable virtues. My opinion.

My pal Kurt Chang had a pair of recent LSs and never liked the sound. He was concerned that something was wrong with them but when I came over and he fired them up (with an AudioNote 300B SET, later with a gaincard clone) they sounded just like the LSs I owned years ago, I was struck by an immediate audio deja-vu. They simply sounded like LSs. He sold them to one of the guys in the club for what he paid, $600, a good deal for the new owner who is happy as Hell.

I'll let the Alnico thing go today. :-)

www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

Of course, FULL-ON, totally open questions require FULL-ON, totally open answers like the kind that kelly gives.

In the last year, I have heard my beloved Cornwall Is with their horizontal horns and B-2 crossovers up against Mike Lindsays unmodified Birch LaScalas and my Khorns on my equipment in my room. The tables do turn completely turn in favor of an ALL HORN LOADED approach with the LaScala/Belle/Khorns. It is a more integrated sound, but not as punchy as the CWOs (Walnut Oiled) I once had. On the other hand, the frequency response of the Khorns is deeper and smoother overall than the CWOs. I love them in a way I never thought any other loudspeaker could compare to my Cornwalls: I love them more.

I think all of the big old Klipsch horns have a dynamic and forward tone that is VERY pleasing when setup correctly with good tube amplification. They all seem work VERY well with my Bottlehead 2A3 Paramours, though I can see how some people might feel the punch of the CWOs asks for more power. The LaScalas are twice as efficient and this efficiency takes you into a another league of the audio ball game. Kellys league. The league of sensitive and refined equipment defined by tone - not simply brute force.

My Cornwalls did seem to be asking for something, though I am not sure if it is front-end balance or simply a smoother frequency response. I did use a cheap EQ to balance out their frequency response, it being easier to accomplish this crude trick than resorting to some heavy room modifications, and it did seem to make a pleasing difference. The midbass and upper frequency range bumps of the CWOs do seem to be asking for something else and maybe it is BALANCE.

Though the LaScalas do look more "PA," they also look more like exotic horns and I loved the larger horn and the vented sections of Mikes Birch models. The Cornwalls are simply wide boxes. The LaScalas footprint is deeper, but they are not that much larger than the Cornwalls. Either one will need to be away from the walls. The Khorn is much larger than the others, but since its bass horn requires corner placement, its front yard is actually greater than the Cornwall or LaScalas. The Khorn soundstage however is embarrassing shallow for such a revered loudspeaker and it takes some getting used to (this from the man whose CWOs were 3 to 4 feet from the front and side walls). The LaScalas do seem to be too low, just as the Khorn seems to be too high. The midrange height of the CWO was almost perfect for my couch.

All other things being equal, which they never are, I say buy the biggest and best Klipsch horn that you can afford.

3.gif