2 way crossover question

Hello,

I have some old speakers that I had bought some crossovers for and some new diaphragms for the horns.   I recently made a mistake and dropped a cable with an amp on and I think either fried a crossover or the tweeter, but it seems the tweeter still is playing but sounds dull and a little muddy compared to the other side.

How do I test a capacitor with a multi meter?

Which one would be the one I would look at for my horn?

Can someone please break down what each one of the components are here so I can learn about this thing?  I really want to get these going again.

I bought these on Ebay 2017 and now the design has changed.  This was supposedly a JBL or copy and is a 1200khz / 2 way crossover.  The fuse removed only slightly lowers the highs it wills till work without it in .  These are in a 2 old Peavy SP3 speaker.

Thank you and any help or ideas are appreciated.   I paid $100 for these and I can not buy another set right now, so I would like to try and replace the capacitor if possible.

image.png.3af210b53f439b0c1f05d3a323211fec.png

I just soldered the diaphragm back on and the sould level is the same as the good speaker, but the bass and highs have lost clarity.  Is this as simple as replacing both capacitors?   

About the only thing you can check about a capacitor with a multimeter by itself is the value of capacitance, if the meter has that capability as a selection. 

What exactly do you mean by "dropping a cable"?

I'd need to see more detailed photos of both the front and back of the board to offer any help.  The tweeter still working with the fuse pulled seems odd...

On 7/12/2019 at 7:59 PM, HIFI4EVER said:

Hello,

I have some old speakers that I had bought some crossovers for and some new diaphragms for the horns.   I recently made a mistake and dropped a cable with an amp on and I think either fried a crossover or the tweeter, but it seems the tweeter still is playing but sounds dull and a little muddy compared to the other side.

How do I test a capacitor with a multi meter?

Which one would be the one I would look at for my horn?

Can someone please break down what each one of the components are here so I can learn about this thing?  I really want to get these going again.

I bought these on Ebay 2017 and now the design has changed.  This was supposedly a JBL or copy and is a 1200khz / 2 way crossover.  The fuse removed only slightly lowers the highs it wills till work without it in .  These are in a 2 old Peavy SP3 speaker.

Thank you and any help or ideas are appreciated.   I paid $100 for these and I can not buy another set right now, so I would like to try and replace the capacitor if possible.

image.png.3af210b53f439b0c1f05d3a323211fec.png

I just soldered the diaphragm back on and the sould level is the same as the good speaker, but the bass and highs have lost clarity.  Is this as simple as replacing both capacitors?   

If you had the amp on and dropped the cable so the amp shorted, you should look at the amp instead of the speaker.

Other stuff such as pulling the fuse and the tweeter still works, though lower, doesn't make any sense.  it sounds like the wiring is messed up in the first place.

Its hard to diagnose this from a distance.  it is VERY unlikely to be a capacitor.  Move the bad drivers to the other speaker and see how they sound.  I predict you overheated the voice coil(s) making it rub but not open. 

The design crossover point was 800 Hz.  You cannot just buy a crossover for a JBL and expect it to work in a  Peavey, or anything else, for that matter.  Call or write to Peavey and ask for the SP-3 crossover schematic and build the correct crossover or buy SP-3 crossovers used. 

• Like 1