I bought some records...........................................................................

T2K

Just recently, I bought some LP's and among them are quite a few, all classical, that bear the label "LONDON FFrr/ Full Frequency Range Recording". Noticed a date on one of them,1966. They are stereo. Anyone have any info on the 'FFrr' label? Just in case it helps I'll list a title below.

BEETHOVEN/SYMPHONY NO.7 IN A MAJOR,OP.92/THE VIENNA PHILHARMONIC ORCHECTRA/ VON KARAJAN

STRAUSS,MENDELSSOHN, etc, etc, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Keith

As far as I know 'London' was/is(?) the American wing of Decca records. The performances you mention are all Decca recordings many are reissued on CD under the title Decca Legends. Their previous CD incarnation was as Decca - The Classic Sound. According to a liner note the first ffrr (full frequency range recording) recordings were launched in 1945. In 1958 the first full frequency stereo sound recordings LPs were issued though Decca started recording this way in 1954. Many of these performances are indeed classics (in terms of artistic merit and sound). Lately some of them have been reissued by the German label speakers corner on vinyl. Just today I ordered one of them which will be my first vinyl encounter, on CD I have quite a few (but not the Beethoven mentioned).

Hope that helps.

Wolfram

Thanks for the info Wolfram. I have listened to several of the albums and they are quite enjoyable. Not sure about any equalization difference in the recording, but they sound good.

There are quite a few of these in the several boxes of LP's that I bought but I haven't had the time to listen to them all. When I get the time I'll post my favorites. Thanks again.

Keith

That sounds like quite a score you got there Keith. If those albums are in reasonable condition they should sound amazing. I have a few Decca records from that period (but without the London label) that represent, to me, an object lesson in how to make a recording.

BTW - did you get any mono classical recordings? These can be extra special too.

Hello maxg! There are some interesting LP's in the bunch. Thumbed thru them quickly after I brought them home but haven't had time to look closely.

The bunch runs the gamut. I do remember seeing several Everly Brothers, Fleetwood Mac, Janis Joplin, Marvin Gaye, Miles Davis, Toto, Lionel Ritchie, Wynton Marsalis, Temptations, Steppenwolf, Billy Vaughn, Buckingham Nicks, John Denver, Johnny Rivers, U2, and on and on. Mid sixties to early eighties. I separated a box of over a hundred classical and haven't looked at them since. Some are still sealed.

Most that I've cleaned (30ish) clean up well. Some totally quite, a few with pops. Well worth my $75. Plus it's fun digging thru the boxes trying to decide what to play next!

Regards,

Keith

I myself got some LPS

Sing along with Mitch Miller

Jim Reeves gentle Jim

Fith of beethoven THE WALTER MURPHY BAND

How the west was won

Framptons Camel

Todays rock, hit mix LP

Kenny Rodgers the gambler

The beach boys love you

Engelbert humperdinck IN TIME

A Mormon Phil harmonic symphony album

Neil Diamond TAP ROOT MANUSCRIPT

Olivia Newton John Have you never been mellow

Mancini in concert

POP ORGAN VARIETYS

LOVERBOY GET LUCKY LOL!

Im experimenting with very old music, and it doesnt sound to bad!

Jim 1.gif

Keith,

I am green with envy. I have paid more than you did for the whole lot for just 2 or 3 albums recently. What a find!!

Jim,

I see you have a Neil Diamond there. Not that I would ever admit it publically but I have always loved his voice - especially "Coming to America". I did pick up an album of his but it is not good, digitally recorded, and rather flat. It has robbed all the magic from his voice.

Must get out there and get me some more vinyl. I havent bought a thing in weeks!!

Jim- Sounds like your taste matches what's mostly avaliable in the thrift stores around these parts! You ought to come visit! Yesterday, I passed up a Dual 704 in great shape (except for a 45 speed that I couldn't quite dial in...33 1/3 rpm was ok) for $20.

fini

Clipped

I can turn the Klipschorns up higher and enjoy them more, now that the mids arent as ear peircing to the wife and the 3 kids!

Its a very smooth sound now, more for home use, rather than the long throat of the K-400s! The Altec 511s spread out the mids, making a wider soundstage! The K-400s are more direct straight at you!

Even talking thru the K-400 amplifies your voice 4X!

As far as Bi amping, no, right now the Horns are on my conrad johnson MV52!

I might think of this on the Crossover upgrade, ill keep you posted!

Regards Jim

1.gif

talktoKeith,

Sounds like you got a wide variety (Beethoven to U2) for your $75. I'd make sure I hang on to that Buckingham Nicks (Lindsey Buckingham & Stevie Nicks) LP. I've seen that particular LP in collector's guides valued at about half of what you paid for the whole box of LPs. Little treasures. Enjoy the music. BTW, what was the Johnny Rivers LP? I always enjoyed his music.

Hey Lew! I'll check and post here soon. I believe there was more than one Johnny Rivers album. Some of the albums had duplicates so I imagine the lot consists of more than one persons collection.

The part that amazes me is that there is a lot of early work of artists that we more mature guys remember from the late 60's/early 70's. Today I enjoyed listening to a pristine Marvin Gaye LP (actually can hear the brass), and a decent Temptations LP.

Thanks for the tip on the Nicks album. There may be two of those. I know I have duplicates of other Fleetwood Mac LPs.

The Grado Gold seems to improve with use.

Keith

Jim,

I know what you mean about the piercing mids, same when I turn up my Cornwalls. I am doing the final design planning for another speaker system I am about to build {I know I have been saying this for nearly a year, but it is about to actually happen) utilizing some Altec woofers and the 511 horn. I have decided to keep the Cornwalls in the house as well for a second system. If I remember correctly you adapted the Klipsch drivers to the 511s, correct? I will be using some Altec drivers with the 511s.

c7s

Dubai,

No joy to date on the DSOTM Greek pressing. I had a hunt on Saturday morning but drew a complete blank. The only PF album I found was "a collection of dance songs".

Why is it whenever you are looking for something it goes to ground?

There is one shop not too far away I have hopes for. I will try to get down there next Saturday as I am hoping they also have some Stones albums for me (not to mention Al Green).

Will keep you posted on progress..